A question for those that Fish (esp salt water)

Options
EmilyRanae22
EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
Hello! My husband's birthday is Thanksgiving. I bought him a fishing pole last week that i let him pick out but I want to have something to wrap and actually give him on his birthday. Ideas please?

I called WalMart (unfortunately the only place around here to get those type of things) and waders aren't in his size and they only have chese waders, I was thinking thigh or hip. Should I put together a tackel box? If so what type of stuff should I put in there? He was looking at the heavy duty tackle box with a bunch of compartments, is that really necessary or is the traditional box sufficient? Any other fishing related ideas?

Replies

• GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You aren't near an Academy are you? They always have waders!
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    If he wants the heavy duty box, I'd go with that. You could throw in some different lines, hooks small to large, a pair of needle nose pliers, hand sanitizer, etc.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    You aren't near an Academy are you? They always have waders!

is Academy a store? lol, never even heard of it
  • cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How about the tackle box & a gift card inside . That way he can pick out the items to put in it that he really wants !
  • KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ok. So you are going to need some strong line. (check to see how many pounds the line can handle),some steel leader (so the line wont break, and some good size hooks. I also like to use jighead hooks if he will be catching fish a little closer to shore. As far as bait goes I prefer live bait but some people like fake bait. Not sure what his preference is. Someone already said pliers def need those. Those are pretty much the basics. Hope this helps!
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    If he wants the heavy duty box, I'd go with that. You could throw in some different lines, hooks small to large, a pair of needle nose pliers, hand sanitizer, etc.

Good call with the box. I was thinking as I typed it "who cares if the tackel box is overkill....it's what he wants"....my husband has a tendency to go a little "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" once in a while
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    OK.
    Tackle box is needed.

Inside the box, I would put a nice multi tool (leatherman type) and a good filet knife.
    He can fill the rest with whatever he wants.
    As an added incentive, get a few good saltwater fish recepies (I don't know where you are located so I don't know what is running) and laminate them for him to keep with him.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    OK.
    Tackle box is needed.

Inside the box, I would put a nice multi tool (leatherman type) and a good filet knife.
    He can fill the rest with whatever he wants.
    As an added incentive, get a few good saltwater fish recepies (I don't know where you are located so I don't know what is running) and laminate them for him to keep with him.

I especially like the recipes idea....we are in Cape May, NJ so currently it is Striper season
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In Cape May, go to Jim's tackle and tell him what rod you bought and what kind of fishing he wants to do. He can suggest a few hooks, rigs and lures and a nice tackle bag or box to go with it.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    In Cape May, go to Jim's tackle and tell him what rod you bought and what kind of fishing he wants to do. He can suggest a few hooks, rigs and lures and a nice tackle bag or box to go with it.
    fantastic! i know I have driven past Jim's so now I just need to remember where i have seen it....that's right over the CM bridge right?
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Right over the bridge. Big shark head on the building...hard to miss.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Right over the bridge. Big shark head on the building...hard to miss.

OK, yep, that's exactly what I was thinking....I only drive by it daily!