Biometric scales, do you bother with the OTHER stuff?

Options
So I have biometric scales as I'm sure lots of you do, the ones that tell you your weight, body fat, water, muscle etc.

So I log weight and bodyfat. But I don't really pay attention to the muscle mass or the water part. Does anyone else here? I would be interested in knowing what you look at, if you track it, if its accurate etc.

This morning I was
222.4lbs
Bodyfat 31.2%
Water 52.9%
Muslce 39.2%

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I would take those numbers with a grain of salt
    Especially if you carry your weight above your waist
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

Oh absolutely, thats why I only really log the BF and the weight. Was just curious about others opinions.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

I'm confused, doesn't salt make you retain water? Wouldn't that throw the number off even more?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Oh absolutely, thats why I only really log the BF and the weight. Was just curious about others opinions.

Including the BF number
  • pyrowill
    Options

Including the BF number

Well the BF I trust quite well, i've always been a similar sort of body composition and most BF indicators I've used have put me between 31 and 33. So I'm fine to trust it, at least to the point more of to see it trending up or down, not too bothered about the exact figure. Anyway...this is more about the others figures that I and most others don't seem bothered about like muscle % and water.
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Anyone?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've continuously measured down to 18% from 30% with calipers and the biometric scale has said...wait for it...

20% down to 18.5%.
    Not very accurate.
  • pyrowill
    Options
    I was thinking about calipers. Do they work if you have quite a high BF, big belly etc. I know you take 3 measurements or something right? Arms, belly, hips?