Breathing Shouldn't Be Hard!

Options
Moxie42
Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
I was wondering if anyone has found any helpful at-home remedies for managing asthma?

Yes, I need to talk to my doctor asap...but I can't get an appt for a few weeks without going to the ER ($100 copay) so I'm trying to find ways to manage it myself until I have the appointment and I'm worried because I'm almost out of my inhaler. I also quit smoking recently which I think is why my lungs are particularly crappy...but it's been almost a week and I don't feel any better at all...

I have found that drinking minty tea helps a little and supposedly coffee helps too. I did some research online but I'm wary of blindly believing homeopathic treatments (I know some are real but a lot is BS) and would really like to hear personal recommendations.

Sorry if this was the wrong area to post this topic...I picked this one since I know there are a lot of asthmatics who might have learned some helpful tricks to manage asthma with exercise...also because I miss working out and want to be able to do more than a leisurely walk.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for the advice. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Moxie42
    Options
    Bump? :ohwell:
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If you call the dr who prescribed your inhaler meds and tell them that you are almost out but have an appt, they will probably give you one refill.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Asking for medical advice on a internet forum is generally a bad idea
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness; you were smoking with asthma? That must have been pretty hard on you!

I agree with above; contact the prescribing doctor and explain the circumstances.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm not medically qualified in any way, but as a fellow asthmatic I would not recommend trying to make your asthma 'better' by exercising without having an inhaler on hand. Obviously it depends on whether your asthma is triggered by exercise or other things, but it can be a dangerous disease without proper management. (I spent 7 years working in an A&E department and have seen the consequences of poorly managed asthma :indifferent: ).
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!

The problem with the refill is that I already refilled it less than a month ago. I'd have to pay twice as much to get it now rather than stall for 2 weeks- that's an issue with the insurance company so it's non-negotiable. It's likely I'll pay the extra to get it early but can't afford it until I get paid in a week. When I see my doctor I'm planning on asking about preventative medication. I know I shouldn't be relying on my rescue inhaler this much.

I'm not trying to ask for medical advice, though I can see why it might sound like that. Just thought there might be some helpful hints out there. For example, someone once recommended minty tea to me, so I tried it, and it does help a little. No harm in trying minty tea, right? I've read up on other herbal remedies that are supposed to help, as well as breathing exercises...but I thought someone might have personal experience with a specific supplement or breathing exercise that they found helpful.

I'm definitely avoiding exercise right now, other than leisurely walking. My asthma used to only be induced by exercise and being sick. I hate that it's become a constant thing, and that scares me.

Yes, I made a stupid decision to smoke when I was 18 even though I had asthma...I was young, dumb, and rebellious, and convinced I could quit when I wanted to. Then I fought the nicotine addiction battle, and hated myself for making that decision 10 years earlier. Now I just want to undo the damage and feel better. I am DONE with smoking- it's not worth it.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor for advice regarding your med refills if that's the case, sometimes they can write the RX in different ways that is more beneficial for you.

If you have allergies make sure to keep them under control, they always make my asthma flare up horribly! Exercising indoors may be easier too, as cold weather and pollen can contribute to asthma if you are working out outside. Have you tried any otc asthma meds? That could help carry you over, Mucinex is good if you get congestion in your lungs and something like Primatene can help prevent attacks. Definitely go over all this with your doctor when you go in so you have a plan. I was diagnosed with asthma last year and just quit smoking this year myself so I'm learning to manage it also. My asthma definitely got worse for awhile after quitting smoking, I have heard that is somewhat normal as your lungs are healing/cleaning themselves out. Good luck!
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Ask your doctor for advice regarding your med refills if that's the case, sometimes they can write the RX in different ways that is more beneficial for you.

If you have allergies make sure to keep them under control, they always make my asthma flare up horribly! Exercising indoors may be easier too, as cold weather and pollen can contribute to asthma if you are working out outside. Have you tried any otc asthma meds? That could help carry you over, Mucinex is good if you get congestion in your lungs and something like Primatene can help prevent attacks. Definitely go over all this with your doctor when you go in so you have a plan. I was diagnosed with asthma last year and just quit smoking this year myself so I'm learning to manage it also. My asthma definitely got worse for awhile after quitting smoking, I have heard that is somewhat normal as your lungs are healing/cleaning themselves out. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! They discontinued Primatene here but I was wondering about Mucinex. I've taken it for congestion but wasn't sure if would make me cough more and aggravate the asthma. My lungs definitely feel like they're full of nasty-ness though so it might help, and I have a day or two's worth of my inhaler left so maybe I can just clear all this crap out and actually start feeling better!