Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

One Thanksgiving meal???

Can someone please tell me where they got this idea of thanksgiving being only one meal for one day??? Am I the only one who lives in a household with people who cook enough food for an entire week? Not only are we talking dinner, but there will be cookies, cakes, sugar-filled drinks, and who knows what else! I have to sit at home for four days with all my favorite foods staring me in the face while my fat family digs in.....I'm just saying....its not as easy as it seems....

PS I love my fat family and I will be exercising portion control (to the best of my ability)

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Thanksgiving IS only one day. Leftovers are a different story. Give them to the homeless if extra food is a problem...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Thanksgiving IS only one day. Leftovers are a different story. Give them to the homeless if extra food is a problem...

^ This.

Or give them to the Sidesteel.

But I think the homeless would be a better first-option. If you still have leftovers after that I'm game.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Because I go to my families house, eat my giant meal and then don't take any of the leftovers that they try to give me in massive amounts as I leave. There are going to be five pies, two turkeys, and more sides than anyone should ever see on a single table.

My mom tries to load me down every single year before I leave the house that night, but I just politely decline and they always understand. Maybe I'll take some turkey, but that's about it.

And that's my mom's way of taking care of it for herself. She sends away food with everyone that comes over and anything beyond about one meal or two worth of leftovers leaves the house. That way she's not left with massive amounts of food sitting around to tempt she and my dad into eating it.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member

^ This.

Or give them to the Sidesteel.

But I think the homeless would be a better first-option. If you still have leftovers after that I'm game.

LOL
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    I think people are trying to point out that YES it is only ONE meal. Leftovers are another story. But everyone freaking out is ridiculous. It is that unhealthy relationship with food that got us here in the first place. Quit being afraid of it. Use portion control and your best judgement, but it is true that one bad meal, or day, or week even, won't kill you. But all this irrational fear will definitely hinder you. You will either freak yourself out and then go nuts on thanksgiving. or you will restrict yourself so much that the day after you end up going crazy.
  • invite me and my workout crew....we will make sure that the leftovers are......Wait a minute.....What leftovers?!

You're Welcome
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    IN for pie.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Can someone please tell me where they got this idea of thanksgiving being only one meal for one day??? Am I the only one who lives in a household with people who cook enough food for an entire week? Not only are we talking dinner, but there will be cookies, cakes, sugar-filled drinks, and who knows what else! I have to sit at home for four days with all my favorite foods staring me in the face while my fat family digs in.....I'm just saying....its not as easy as it seems....

PS I love my fat family and I will be exercising portion control (to the best of my ability)

I am *counting* on having at least 3 days of leftovers, hopefully four. With all the cooking that I'll be doing, I won't want to cook again for days! :laugh:

Leftovers are the best!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    I guess this is where being vegan and having to cook for myself every Thanksgiving comes in handy. I make enough for me to eat one day, maybe two, and I'm done. Thanksgiving is a pain in the butt for me having to deal with relatives that think it's funny to mock me more than anything else.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    I think you all are trying to get me hurt! lol If I take (donate) my momma's food, my family will collectively beat me! lol But Myth4ever your crew is definitely welcome! lol

I do get what you all are saying. Its all in the mind and people do tend to psych themselves out. Which is why I have a game plan! LOTS of veggies, water, and exercise. One serving per day of sweets...We'll see how far that gets me lol
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    I had Thanksgiving with my mom last Saturday. My wife's mom's side is actual Thanksgiving day for lunch and her dad's side is that night for dinner. I enjoyed my mom's (no logging, no guilt) and will enjoy Thursday just as much, again with no logging.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    I'm cooking this year, so the menu won't include all kinds of crap. One dessert.
  • Depends on the size of the family. With us, we'll cook a LOT, but the food will be gone by sundown. We'll have over 30 family members (and some will bring guests).
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Or people that have split families...
    I have one thanksgiving dinner on thanksgiving with my mom's side.
    Thanksgiving dinner on friday with husbands side
    and Thanksgiving dinner on saturday with my dad's side.

See. THREE days. Same with Christmas.... I usually pick my favorites out of each dinner instead of "trying" it all.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Im SO sorry you have to spend your holidays with a loving family.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    I took the easy way out of being faced with leftovers... we're going out of town right after dinner! :laugh:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    One of the reasons I like a restaurant!

This year we are doing it at home. I already have the leftover tubs and will make portioned meals. As for the day - I will eat and log just like last year.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Mmmmm left over turkey!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Here's a tip...move to England! You'll be safe here...well, except for Xmas...
  • Thanksgiving is just the biggest meal at deer camp. I never really considered it a real holiday (such as a religious holiday) We don’t observe it as we would other holidays but we do have a big meal. Im not going to let it ruin my plans for a healthy livestyle.