Is there such thing as 2 many veggies?

Jennplus2
Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello fabulous MFP friends,

I wanted to ask a question about portion size. Sooo I have ordered a food scale that should come on the 12th, but until then….
I have been doing great at eating my veggies everyday (one of my goals), I bring them into work with me so I can snack and nosh all day without hurting my weight loss. BUT I am really bad at guessing portion size. I have been guessing that 15 carrots is a serv, 15 snap peas, 15 cherry tomatoes, ect ect. (Sometimes I eat two guessed serv at a time.)
So my question is (I know with weight loss it is calories in calories out) if I am guessing to low and going over on veggie cals could I be sabotaging my weight loss? I always thought that I could never eat 2 many veggies, but now that I am trying to be more concerned with balance and portion I am wondering.
I don’t think that if I eat 1200 cake calories everyday and nothing else I would lose, but is going over on veggies just bonus veggies, no hurt to my goals or should I figure out what a real serving is and stop eating rabbit food like it is going out of style.
Any advise would be great! Thank you.

Replies

• Heck no you eat those veggies! :)
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Nope. Keep noshing.
  • veggies are the best thing to munch on for sure, and if your gonna go over cal then that's the way to do it. but remember that certain veggies have a lot of natural sugars (sugar snap peas, carrots, etc) and will have more cal. i find looking at nutrition labels on foods similar to what you eat helps if your package does not have the cal and serving size listed.
  • Never, honestly, as long as they aren't the starchy kind like carrots and potatoes, which are normally fine except for when you are trying to lose weight (the head nutritionist in my section of the health dept. would agree, I am certain). I love veggies! You go, grrl!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Carrots will slow you down? What? I've been munching on baby carrots a lot recently... (within calorie limit though)
  • Carrots will slow you down? What? I've been munching on baby carrots a lot recently... (within calorie limit though)

Smiles, it's more a matter of amount - those really low-cal veggies I think you can eat in almost unlimited quantities - don't think it's a problem at all if you're staying within your calorie limit - with me, I tend to view starchy veggies (from peas and carrots to winter squash) the same way that I do grains - measure them out and account for every bit. Whereas, with lettuce, celery, red peppers, radishes, summer squash etc. don't measure and don't worry too much if it's a cup or two cups...
This discussion has been closed.