Can a shoulder sprain cause ear ringing, dizziness, and naus

Options
In the last 1 1/2 months, I have been sick with bronchitis and in a seperate incident sprained my shoulder a few weeks ago which is still giving me problems.

Since then, I've been experiencing ear rining, dizzy and nauseous symptons similar to an ear infection.
I'm thinking that's probably what I have but thought I'd ask on here if something like a bad shoulder sprain could have an effect on nerves that go to the brain and could cause these symptoms as well.

Thanks for any help

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    no but a pinched nerve in your neck can, and it is sometimes masked as shoulder pain
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    no but a pinched nerve in your neck can, and it is sometimes masked as shoulder pain

or you could be guarding your shoulder and tilting your head, therefore causing a spasm in your neck
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Nope. The nerves that supply your inner ear come directly from the brainstem, and the ones that go to your shoulder come from your spinal cord, so they're not related. It is unusual that you have your current symptoms for a few weeks, though, so go see your physician pronto!
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    also the Vagus (sp?) nerve runs just on the side/ front of the neck. this nerve helps to control or affect nausea. so if you are having

spams in the neck or shoulder ( or the several muscles which connect the two) it could easily be compressing the nerve.

you could try warm, moist heat over the muscles, chiropractic adjustment, massage, stretching.

also bronchitis can definitely cause strained/ spastic muscles....i see it often in my clients who are sick

good luck!!!!!!!!!

also when you have an injury there is almost always compensation from guarding an injured body part....it causes a snowball

affect of muscle tension/ spasm
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I think it's more closely related to being sick wiht bronchitis than having anything to do with your shoulder sprain.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    also the Vagus (sp?) nerve runs just on the side/ front of the neck. this nerve helps to control or affect nausea. so if you are having

spams in the neck or shoulder ( or the several muscles which connect the two) it could easily be compressing the nerve.

you could try warm, moist heat over the muscles, chiropractic adjustment, massage, stretching.

also bronchitis can definitely cause strained/ spastic muscles....i see it often in my clients who are sick

good luck!!!!!!!!!

I threw my lower back out coughing last week......NOT fun for sure
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    maybe you could have vertigo. I had that and i was so dizzy and naus:sick: ld not stand it..
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies

I actually had an ear infection last year that lasted 6 months - talk about a bum deal. These symptoms are very similar.

I'm going to go back to the chiropracter and try to take care of my shoulder.

Hopefully this only lasts a month or two this time lol