Need Healthy Green Vegetable Recipe for Thanksgiving

Options
I need a great tasting and crowd pleasing GREEN vegetable based dish for Thanksgiving meal. I want to show that vegetables can impress!

Please help. I cannot cook my old standards and am feeling at a loss.

Replies

• kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    my green veggie this year is going to be steamed green beans with toasted hazelnuts and cranberry halves. it's pretty and impressive and festive and best of all.. low cal and low fat!!.. light on the butter.. or what i like to do... shh don't tell.. i spray a little pam butter spray over it.. it says 0 calories but if you spray too much, it does add up.. but it is a nice butter flavor.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I stopped using Pam or any aerosol non-stick spray, they have benzene (carcinogen...found in petroleum products) in them. Found that out during an indoor air sample training course for work.

Kimcalica's geen beans sound good, would also probably be really good oven roasted.
    Asparagus spears oven roasted with pepper and lemon juice.
    I like to wilt green leafy veg (beet leaves, chard, spinach, collards) with sliced red onions, sliced apples, a little apple cider vinegar and brown sugar, and sprinkle with some crispy oven cooked bacon (with the fatty bits sliced off b4 chopping).
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i could fall back on i can't believe it's not butter pump spray.. same 0 cal and nice butter flavor.. or there's some butter flavor seasoning that has 0 cal in the dry herb section.. like mrs dash or something.