Tattoo as goal " reward"

Options
gotogirl81
gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
When I lose about 50-60lbs I'm getting a fairly large tattoo in memory of my grandma/ as a reward to myself. I have been dreaming about her since my sister moved into her old house with her husband. She's been my guardian angel the past few years.. I have been in a few car accidents and nearly could have died and I'm not a super religious person, but someone was really looking out for me.
So the tattoo is either going to be on my left shoulder or on my upper right bicep. ( depending on how toned my arms are at that point)
It's basically going to be a few key pieces kinda connected to each other.. that remind me of my grandmother and her elegant style/zest for life.

I have thought about this for a long time. and I finally came up with an idea for it. I have been looking at styles/ artists online but a bunch of them are in other countries...( for some reason the UK has amazing tattoo artists.. anyone want to buy me a ticket there?? :flowerforyou: )
But yea, I will be doing some research over the next year on tattoo artists in my area( Pennsylvania) , and thinking about how much I want to spend.

Have you done anything like this when you reached a goal? What does your tattoo look like/ stand for? anyone have any pictures of their work?

Replies

• BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Im planning on getting a tattoo on my whole back once i've lost 40lbs
    there is no point on me getting one now since t dont have the body to make it look nice :)
  • timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When I got to my goal weight my husband bought me a coach purse that I had wanted. It was awesome. Now everytime I look at the purse it reminds me of how far I have come and the I need to stay at it to stay healthy. Good luck!
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm not at my goal ... yet. However, I totally plan on getting one next month for my birthday. It's a symbol that stands for "Embrace Life" .
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Resists temptation.
  • lunatikchik
    lunatikchik Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    if i can muster up the guts, once i hit goal, i'd like to get a phoenix on my wrist or calf
    Symbolizing that I have arisen from the old and became a new person
    as the phoenix dies on his funeral pyre and rise from his own ashes into something new and magnificent
    :)
    (again if i have the guts, hahahaa, i'm a total chicken.... but we shall see how i feel at goal!)
  • Captainobvvious
    Captainobvvious Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Tough Mudder next year and getting their tattoo as a reward if I complete it... I mean WHEN I complete it.

I went from completely out of shape fat slob to currently kinda overweight kinda fit guy to next year when I am going to be at my goal weight and ready for the trials..It will be my badge of honor.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have a shoulder/arm tattoo that I am going to get finished and turn into half a sleeve when I hit my goal weight. I am super excited! I think that is a great reward.
  • Danardeener
    Options
    I have several tattoo's. I got my last tattoo when I reached my goal weight. Now I'm thinking on gaining weight just so I can lose it and get another tattoo. :)
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Yeh... I tried to stick to the "no more tattoos until I reach my goal" but that didn't last. I have since gotten 2 tattoos and am saving for another.

So now I have no goal "reward" other than buying smaller clothes.
  • medea5
    medea5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am going to get a tattoo when I hit my goal as well. It's going to be a fat dragon for obvious symbolic reasons. I already have it drawn by one of my favorite dragon artist. She even agreed to color it when I told her I was going to get it tattood for my weight loss. Haven't found a tattoo artist yet.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I've never been a tattoo type of person even though my wife, daughters, and son-in-laws all have them. I am now considering getting a tattoo to commemorate my first half marathon and marathon. I still haven't actually ran a race since HS CC in 1982 so this is a relatively long range goal. I recently saw a profile picture with 13.1 on one calf and 26.2 on the other. Thought it would be cool for people I pass in a 5K race to see as I blow by them.
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have reached goal and I am now looking for the design I want for my first (and probably last) tattoo to reward myself for this journey.
  • gotogirl81
    Options
    Resists temptation.

For?
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When I get to my weightloss I plan on getting a pink teddy bear holding on to 3 balloons. With Letters in each ballon. ASM for my twin sister, BDM for my daughter and JDM for my dad. All who have passed away. The pink teddy bear cause when I was in the car accident my dad got both me and my daughter a pink teddy bear that stayed with us. When my Brittany passed away he switched the bears. When my dad was killed I had that pink little bear with him the whole time until his casket was closed. Now that pink little bear sits between my dad's flag and a frame that holds a lock of my daughter's hair and a print of her foot prints.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Resists temptation.

For?

I personally don't get using your body as a timeline to commemorate events with tattoos. They are more or less permanent. If it says something like "Look at me how thin I am" and then you gain weight...

ETA: this was about ppl getting weight loss tattoos, not for the OP.
    If it were me I'd get myself a fancy holiday or a really nice watch.
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    im having a tattoo next week, i also have tattoos for goals i hit another so having one on the inside of my forarm(to cover a stupid mistake from when i was 17) the symbol means 'free yourself from self made chains' when i hit my ultimate target im having a massive one on my back, well its kinda 3 in one x
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I already have the desgin for my reward tattoo. It is going to be a large back piece. I have wanted it for so long, but never had the guts to go get it because I would have to practically take my shirt off. It won't be my first and probably won't be my last either.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm rewarding myself with a tattoo as well! I want "beloved" on my ribcage. My name is Amy and that's what my name means.

I'm worried because this will be my first tattoo and I'm sure I could find other places on my body that would be less painful. But my ribcage seems like a good spot. It won't stretch out when I get pregnant (at least not as much) and it's not visible unless I'm wearing a swimsuit.

I think a tattoo is a GREAT reward!
  • gotogirl81
    Options
    this is the style I would like.. but not nessesarily tea cups.. although i love the idea of them.

this artist Guen Douglas from Denmark is outstanding. if your into that sort of thing her work is amazing.

VbrjF.jpg

gSmrp.jpg
  • Matt_1972
    Matt_1972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Resists temptation.

For?

I personally don't get using your body as a timeline to commemorate events with tattoos. They are more or less permanent. If it says something like "Look at me how thin I am" and then you gain weight...

ETA: this was about ppl getting weight loss tattoos, not for the OP.
    If it were me I'd get myself a fancy holiday or a really nice watch.

I would have thought that one of the best reasons for getting tattoo's would be to commemorate events that happen throughout your life.
    Imagine going on a "fancy holiday" and not taking any photos to look back on because "what's the point I am not there any more"