elliptical to outdoor running....

Question for all the exercise guru’s out there!! I’ve just started working out about a month ago. I’ve been doing a 30 minute workout on the elliptical at about 70%. Now I want to start running outside. I went on Monday and wooowww is running outside much harder than the elliptical. Last night was a little better, but still not anything I’m proud of. Is this normal?!? Any advice on things I’m doing wrong?!?

Replies

• sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    No where close to the same kind of work out- don't try to compare it! I find outdoor running quite a bit harder than treadmill running too. I prefer to run outside though because I love the challenge of it. You get exhausted 2 miles in and there is no just turning it off- you still have to get home!

practice, practice, practice. The more you do it, the easier it gets! Take the time to read up a little on running, there is a little bit more to idoing it than simply one foot in front of the other (not a whole lot, but enough to maybe help avoid some injury).

Good luck to you!
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    An elliptical vs running is like comparing lemons to pears. They're but fruit, but are not that same at all! Ellipticals take a lot of pressure off your joints, where as running creates high impact on your body. Making the transition will take some time, but so long as you aren't hurting yourself or pushing too hard, keep running to gain endurance. Use the elliptical to give your body a break sometimes. And please remember, getting the right pair of shoes can make all the difference in the world for your feet, knees, hips... everything!
  • Perfectly normal. I prefer to run outside because you get all types of resistance (uphill, downhill) and I like seeing the sights. Plus I can take my dog along which he adores. It will just take some time to transition.
  • thanks guys :) good motivation for me! ha
  • pfierro
    pfierro Posts: 4 Member
    Outdoor running will melt the weight off of you, not that the elliptical won't, but I have received faster results running. It's also a good time to clear your mind.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Check out the Couch to 5K program. It's a great way for beginners to get into running. There's even an iPhone app.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Question for all the exercise guru’s out there!! I’ve just started working out about a month ago. I’ve been doing a 30 minute workout on the elliptical at about 70%. Now I want to start running outside. I went on Monday and wooowww is running outside much harder than the elliptical. Last night was a little better, but still not anything I’m proud of. Is this normal?!? Any advice on things I’m doing wrong?!?

The elliptical can help build your stamina so you can run farther and faster outside. But it works different muscles, so you will notice that.
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    It is harder because you are doing all the work. That IS something to be proud of. So whether it is a half mile or half marathon, keep at it! I heard a quote one time that I liked, I can't remember exactly how it went but basically - running doesn't get any easier, you just get better!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Check out the Couch to 5K program. It's a great way for beginners to get into running. There's even an iPhone app.
    This! I'm 51 years old, I finished the program and now I run 3-4 miles every other day. If I can do it, anyone can! Just remember to start out running as SLOWLY as you can. You can increase speed later! Good luck!
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    What a great post and super answers, I'm deffo going to start outside running. Thank you OP for the question and big up for all the responders. :drinker:
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    This! I'm 51 years old, I finished the program and now I run 3-4 miles every other day. If I can do it, anyone can! Just remember to start out running as SLOWLY as you can. You can increase speed later! Good luck!

I agree with everyone above, the elliptical and outdoor running are two very different forms of exercise but do keep at both!

C25K is amazing. It took me several tries to really get into it because I was a bit too heavy still to be running, but I never gave up. Recently I have found that running SLOWLY has made it much easier to keep running for longer periods of time. Focus on distance, not necessarily speed. Also: the right shoes make all the difference. I used to get the worst shin splints!
  • Totally normal! Couch to 5k times a million! It works! :)
  • yayyyyy!! thanks everyone :) good to know that i'm not just utterly crazy for thinking this is waayyy hard :) happy thanksgiving to everyone!!
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    All of the comments above offer great advice and insight. When I started to exercise, I began in the gym on a treadmill, and then slowly began running (well...'trotting') outside. Huge difference and way more difficult. But also an opportunity to challenge yourself. Side note: NSV for me - last night I ran my 3 mile route in 30m39s...a personal best. Very proud. Allows me some pumpkin pie tomorrow.

Best of luck, keep it up, and just get out there!