ground meat

Options
What is leaner: ground beef, ground round, or ground sirlion?

I went to a different grocery store today because I was in a hurry. They had "lean" on all three of the above, but no percentage of fat specified. Which one is the leaner of the 3?

Thank you!

Replies

• youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    lean ground beef...is like 93/7 or something close to that..if you go around walmart there meat section has the percentage on the top of the package by the grade of meat
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure on the comparison of the three, but I believe that lean ground beef is 93/7 or better. I would imagine that they'd all be similar. I wonder if the FDA has a legal requirement for "lean"?
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Ground beef cannot have more than 30% fat (so it is 70% lean)
    Ground chuck is 80 - 85% lean
    Ground round is 85 - 90% lean
    Ground sirloin is 90 - 92% lean

To be labeled "lean", there cannot be more than 22% fat (or must be at lease 78% lean)

Hope that helps.
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    sirloin
  • amymukes
    amymukes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ground sirloin is the leanest. Look for 95/5.
  • tazlady
    Options
    anyone ever try buffalo steaks?
  • mad4biking
    Options
    If you have a chance, try venison. It's the leanest of all of them.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I usually buy 93/7...but went to this other store that didn't specify.

I ended up buying the ground sirlion in hopes that it was the right one...glad I picked it.
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If they didn't specify, I'd go to another store. Who knows what ELSE they're not specifying?

Ground beef is labeled as such because it contains meat from multiple cuts, so there's really no easy way to tell where the meat scraps came from.