Housework

Options
Is it okay to add housework such as scrubbing floors to the exercise diary?

Replies

• Martoch
    Martoch Posts: 166
    Options
    Short answer: No, it doesn't count - don't add it in to your daily calories burned or workouts accomplished.
  • I don't add housework as it is something I do everyday. I always do at least 1 room full clean (windows, walls, floors, rearrange cupboards) everyday excpet weekends and 2 loads washing everyday
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    no because it is already included in my "lightly active" daily activity.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Not if you're looking for more calories to eat. Do some real exercise.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    If it's out of the ordinary and you are actually doing some intense cleaning, I say go for it.
    But if it's just normal, I wouldn't.
  • esealjme
    Options
    The only reason I asked is because the housework that I do not do on a daily basis often takes more time, which is currently in short supply. I should be able to lose weight regardless. I was just curious. Thank you for your feedback.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Not if you're looking for more calories to eat. Do some real exercise.

I think that's incredibly rude to say. I add my housework sometimes because I don't do it every day, and I work up a serious sweat when I do get around to cleaning. I don't think it's right to say it isn't "real" exercise because someone isn't running on a treadmill or lifting.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The only time I log anything like that is when I do intensive yard work for several hours. This is not part of my normal daily activity level, consistently gets my heart rate up, and leaves me sore afterwards. I consider that a workout! However, since I don't wear a HRM and have no clue if the calorie estimates online are at all accurate, I don't eat but a fraction of those calories back.