WAY sorer legs than usual

I work out regularly, doing weights and cardio. Today was leg day, and I started with 3 sets of weighted wide leg squats and then went to do narrow leg squats and I could not for the life of me get down! Not even a little bit. The outside of my thighs felt like they were going to burst, that's how tight and sore they were. I've never had this happen before. It was both legs. This routine was not new to me, so what's going on? The only thing I can think of is maybe I was going wider and lower than usual, for the wide leg ones? Not sure, but it was so weird...

Replies

• Diet may be to blame. Were you dehydrated? Low on electrolytes like sodium, magnesium and potassium? That would be my guess. Otherwise, have you been neglecting stretching? Too much tightness overtime will get to ya. Kudos on the hard work, though!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I can't say specifically what's going on- but like April said, might be nutrition related. Either way, sounds like you're due for a rest day, a foam roller, and an epsom salt bath!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    I had weird issues with my legs that resulting in not being able to sprint AT ALL for about two months without drop to the ground pain. I never figured it out. Maybe tissue damage. I would proceed very cautiously with any unusual muscle pain.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    I'd say give them a session off. I had some minor pain tonight with my legs workout that didn't quite feel like the typical muscle burn, so I cooled my jets a bit on a couple of sets. I'm about 95% sure mine resulted from not being fully recovered from the last legs workout I did.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Thanks everyone! Diet might be to blame... i never even thought of that!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Do you drink water while you work out?

I drink a protein shake when i start/during the first few sets of my workout, and drink 28+ oz of water throughout the 45 min.

I also stretch between each set (I lift heavy) to minimize my fatigue. Seems to help me so far!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Stretching and hydration...are they adequate?
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    It sounds like it may be your "I.T." band, it is a muscle that runs along the outer aspect of your thighs from hip to knee. It can be very painful and is usually prevented by proper stretching. Have someone roll a rolling pin along that muscle while you lay on your side while applying firm pressure. This will be painful! Or better yet seek out a good Physiotherapist and have it looked after properly!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I had sore legs from a long walk the other day that has never bothered me... with the cooler weather in Houston, my water intake was low that morning. I am making myself drink more water now!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Let me throw in MY vote for stretching and good water intake!!

I just started doing squats after months of using the assisted machines. After the first 2 workouts my legs HURT--like I still hurt from the first day when I did the second day. I asked the trainer at the gym if there ever would come a time when my legs didn't burn like fire and he asked about my stretching. When I told him I really didn't DO any, he told me to start. I am now faithfully stretching after I lift, then any other time during the day that I start to feel tight. Its been a week (2-3 workouts) and I haven't been the least bit sore.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Definitely not, because I don't stretch for weights, just before & after running. Guess I should start doing that! Also, I always have trouble getting in my water intake for the day, so that's might also be it.

Thanks, everyone! A lot of these things I wouldn't have even thought about.