Approximating Calories when eating out?

Options
Hey everyone,
I was wondering how you guys go about approximating calories when eating out, when restaurants do not have any calories/nutritional information listed?

I am usually good, and if I am going to have drinks out I eat at home before hand, but tonight I went to the bar after a long day at school with friends, and we had a couple of drinks and food. Between the three of us we shared a "Starter" nachos with salsa (realistically it was the size of a regular "main" nachos), but I'm struggling with how to estimate it. Right now, I have my 1/3 of the nachos estimated at about 700 calories, does that sound about right?

Thank you!

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Most chain restaurants have their calories in MFP already for a huge portion of their meals. If its not there, pick a similar item (chips, cheese, bacon etc) and add the items individually to get to as close of the portion size as you can.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    if they dont actually have it on the site then just try estimating what you ate with basic stuff on here (fries, burger, ect.) but try to over value it by a little bit because alot of restaurants cook with alot of oils and grease
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    if they dont actually have it on the site then just try estimating what you ate with basic stuff on here (fries, burger, ect.) but try to over value it by a little bit because alot of restaurants cook with alot of oils and grease

this! ^^
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If all else fails I try to list each ingredient that was in what I ate, in the case of nacho's, was it comparable to something they'd sell at a popular chain restaurant? It may not be exact, but calorie counting is an inexact science in itself :drinker:
  • pipeman1012
    Options
    I am a firefighter. At work, I am not the cook, so I try to guesstimate the things I eat there. I usually only eat 2 out of 3 meals at work and I bring the rest. How I guesstimate is I try to find something similar in the database and usually pick the closest thing that I can find at a restaurant. The reason it works for me is because I won't eat a full "restaurant" portion. It is not exact, but it works for me.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I try and list each ingredient I can see, guess at weights, try and overestimate. Its not exact, but I rarely go out to eat so doesn't affect my progress.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If it's something you only do once in a while and you already ate the things I wouldn't worry about it. Don't let logging become an obsession. If you eat sensibly 90% of the time the rest will all even out.
  • SammyLou28
    Options
    I break apart the main ingredients in my head and add up the calories. I will usually overestimate by 50 - 100 calories just to be safe.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    700 sounds about right.

I often pick a chain that has similar food - pick the item from that chain and call it good. If it looks too low I add in some quick add calories.