Nervous about posting, but I think I have a before/after

Options
I'm nervous about this, but I think it's finally time for me to post my before/after photos. I get a little embarrassed when people say that I've lost weight because I feel like that means I was really big when I started, since I can't tell too much of a difference.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid in June after gaining around 15 pounds really quickly. I had always stayed around the same weight year after year so I knew there was something wrong. I'd stick to my 1200 calorie diet and not lose an ounce, sometimes even gain. Hair falling out, always forgetting things, absolutely no energy. I didn't want to go out, let alone exercise. I'm not completely regulated yet, but I'm getting where I need to be.

I joined a weight loss group at work and really started tracking and trying to stay under my calorie limits. To make it easy on myself and to keep myself from getting discouraged, I had three calorie goals. I figured up my maintenance calories, my mid-way loss, and my regular loss. During the week I would try to stick under the lowest goal, but if I had an off day, I'd be sure to stay in my mid-way. And on the weekends when I'd go out to eat, I made sure to stay under maintenance. I felt like I still had cheat days, but nothing to make me gain.

Anyway, I can see the scale moving, and I hit two goals already, but I still feel like I look the same. I think most of it comes from I never saw myself as bigger since I gained it so fast. But this morning I took a picture and I realized I've come a pretty long way.

I'm 5'3", started at around 161 lbs, and I'm now somewhere around 138. I can tell I've lost since I've last weighed, but I don't own a scale so it's only a guess. I wanted to go a little lower, but I think I need to focus more on toning now since I did this without exercising hardly at all. Also, all my clothes are too big now, so hopefully you can tell a difference regardless.

Before
291cpow.jpg

Before again
de3055.jpg

And this morning:
azfrq.jpg

Replies

• shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! You look so healthy and beautiful. I think your before pics look pretty too.

:smile:
  • lucyinthesky2007
    lucyinthesky2007 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great job! I can definitly tell you've lost. You look great!
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be nervous about!! Great story and the pics tell even more!
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You're just beautiful :) Congratulations on the loss, you look really healthy! Love your style also xx
  • flyersrule17a
    flyersrule17a Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I most definitely see a HUGE difference. I also have hypothyroidism and gained 30 lbs before we figured out what was wrong. I also had no energy, large amounts of hair falling out, etc. I am now regulated but just started my journey to lose weight. I have a total of about 60 left to lose. Congrats, you look amazing.
  • IvanaSamuel
    Options
    You were beautiful then as you are now! Congratulations...YOU GO GIRL!!!8-)
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    Awesome progress!! You're really pretty!
  • anskaggs
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    I most definitely see a HUGE difference. I also have hypothyroidism and gained 30 lbs before we figured out what was wrong. I also had no energy, large amounts of hair falling out, etc. I am now regulated but just started my journey to lose weight. I have a total of about 60 left to lose. Congrats, you look amazing.

There's hope I promise! I know it can be frustrating. I think I caught mine earlier than most people. I only gained 15-20 pounds that can attribute to it, but the depression and hair falling out (my eyebrows were the worst!) came first for me.
  • klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congrats- you look wonderful! Good before as well :) I also have hypothyroidism, and it is soooo hard sometimes and takes a lot of dedication to lose, so I wanted to tell you GREAT JOB!!!
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have done an amazing job! You look great.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You do look fantastic. Also there is a group for those with hypothyiod issues here. You may want to check it out and join. (And this is for all the others who did not know of it).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! You look amazing!
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You are a beautiful young lady and your efforts have for sure paid off for you
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Congrats!!! I've got hypo myself and its no fun, makes things 10xs harder too!
  • katiedidit1
    katiedidit1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I can see a big difference! Great job and great idea on the calorie goals I may have to use that.

Also I really hope you get that dress altered that you were wearing in the first pic so you can wear it again this coming summer, it's adorable!
  • anskaggs
    Options
    I can see a big difference! Great job and great idea on the calorie goals I may have to use that.

Also I really hope you get that dress altered that you were wearing in the first pic so you can wear it again this coming summer, it's adorable!

The different calorie goals really did help me! I think it's one of the big reasons I was able to stick with it.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    beautiful! congratulations!
  • HananYako30
    HananYako30 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Congratulations
  • mel_d1000
    Options
    you look amazing, keep up the hard work!
  • anskaggs
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I took one today in clothes that actually fit. I need to work on my arms. :\

15frf6f.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!