STARVING!!! HELP!!!

Options

Replies

• slyeyes777
    slyeyes777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hey kate .. im new to this and i had no idea u needd to replace the cals u burn with work outs .. but is nighttime a good time to eat u think cuz i dont work out till late sometimes and its seems like i wouldnt be good to eat so late ... what u all think?
  • aubsgg
    aubsgg Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might need to increase your healthy fats, Avocados and nuts are good. Fat and fiber will make you feel full longer. A small increase in calories might help too. Every time my weight stalls I up the calories and a couple of pounds fall off.
  • jordan27son
    Options
    Hello! one of the best things to do is eat every 2 to 3 hrs. no matter what it is that youre eating. this helps so that u dnt always feel like youre starving. good luck!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    im also struggling , try calorie cycling .... like i hit around 2000-3000cals on a leg day during a cut and 1200cals on a non-workout day and 1400-1600 every other day
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Yeah, check out the roadmap. Think your BMR is closer to 1500, so you don't need to be eating less than that regardless. And refined carbs, even whole wheat ones, still make you hungry a few hours later.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    hey kate .. im new to this and i had no idea u needd to replace the cals u burn with work outs .. but is nighttime a good time to eat u think cuz i dont work out till late sometimes and its seems like i wouldnt be good to eat so late ... what u all think?

It doesn't matter when you eat and workout. Just need to make sure your body has enough calories for fuel. Besides, that way if you eat "too many" calories, you will be encouraged to work out to work off those extra calories.

Not everyone eats the exercise calories, but MFP wants you to--that's why they add them in to your total for the day. The hungrier and less well-fed you are, the harder it is to stick to your plan. If all you want is quick weight loss, then might not want to eat them all, but if this is a lifestyle change, better to find a plan you can stick to, and that includes not being hungry all the time.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    What is your fat intake like? Increasing fat on lower carb ratios tends to help satiety.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    If you genuinely are hungry and it's not just thirst you need to eat. Your body is trying to tell you it needs more food. Listen to it.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    A few tips...
    1. Make up some almost cal free veggie soup and keep in the fridge, have a bowl when you feel hungry between meals if you need, it helps with water intake and keeps you feeling full.
    2. Eat back some of your exercise cals, try to aim for 1200 net
    3. Maybe plan in to split up your meals into more smaller meals so never more than 3-4 hrs between food.
    4. Drink plenty of everything (except alcohol and carbonated drinks).
    Keep going and good luck!!
    Jules xx
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I workout in the evenings too. I always feel free to eat right up until bed time if I have the calories and I've never had a problem with it. Eating before bed is an individual thing, though. Some people find that it gives them indigestion and interferes with their sleep. Others, like me, find that it's easier to settle down and fall asleep with a light snack before bed. If I go to bed with an empty stomach I usually feel really crappy the next morning. :drinker:
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You and I are the same height and I started here at 151 lbs. my diary is set at 1700/day. If I follow that I lose. And I'm a lazy person, I didn't work out for my whole first month, only followed the 1700/day and I lost a little over seven pounds in that month without working out. Lately, I too am hungry, so I've started working out just to eat more. :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more tan 1200. I would guess around 1800 would be closer to your needs. There is good info here in ths thread. Mull it over, check it out, and think about. It.
  • mkanak
    mkanak Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    of course you are starving you should only be around 300 Kcal below your maintainance calories.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I started out at 150 pounds, and I'm 5'6". I've lost about 6-7 pounds over the past couple months eating 1600 calories on days when I'm not exercising, more calories when I do. Maybe you're starving because you need to eat more :)

My typical advice is to add about 200 calories, give it a few weeks, see how you feel. Maybe add another 200. Those 200 calories are not going to make you gain weight, but they might be the difference between you being miserable and not. Good luck!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Your diary is closed so it's harder to help you
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Try eating good quality carbs + good quality protein + lots of fruits and/or veggies at each and every meal.
    There are really only 2 possibilities, your body needs more calories, or the calories you are eating aren't substantial enough to keep you satisfied,
    its like this - if you aren't eating good quality REAL food, your done for.

Would you feel full if you drank only pepsi all day long?
    sure you'd hit your calorie mark, but you sure would be starvin' like marvin' ...

hope this puts things into perspective:)

This is similar to my point. Do you feel satisfied with the healthy foods you are eating that are within your calorie range? Are you enjoying them? For example, I like pasta so I use whole grain pasta and add steamed veggies and a low-calorie pesto or healthy sauce, but I still get my pasta. I could eat the same number of calories in a salad with protein and still not feel satisfied. Not to say that I don't like protein and veggies--I do and when I want that, I make a meal of it. But I personally can't low-carb it all day and feel satisfied. Everyone is different though, and some people have great success on that plan. Just food for thought (sorry, I couldn't help it).
  • ChantelleFowler
    ChantelleFowler Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity as well and I don't go under 1500, although I try to stick to 1700-1900. The Insanity Elite Nutrition Guide has a calorie estimator that tells you how many calories you should be ingesting. I'd suggest following that. 1200 is too low for a program like Insanity.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I am on the 1200cal diet and doing Insanity which I add about 400cal per 40minute workout. I am 5'5" and 155lbs right now. My main issue is (and always has been) that I always feel hungry. Any suggestions, tips, foods or helpful hints as to ways to feel full. I constantly drink water as well so forget that tip.

Eat more.

Take a 20% cut from your TDEE.

How many days a week are you exercising?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1200 PLUS the 400 you burned in exercise? You need to eat 1600 total for the day to make it net 1200.

I also recommend the Road Map that someone posted a link to. I eat one higher calorie goal every day and not the lower number plus exercise.