Best eating habit changes?

Options

Replies

• BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Not eating within 3 hours of going to bed.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Learning that there is no such thing as good or bad food.
    Learning that eating every 3 hours is a bunch of BS.
  • Hungrygirl88
    Options
    The eating every few hours might be B.S. to you, I'm not saying it's helped with weightloss....but it has helped me from becoming an ogre and raiding the kitchen because I've waited too long to eat.

Not eating at night, when I'm bored. Once I'm done with my calorie allowance....that's it until the next day.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The eating every few hours might be B.S. to you, I'm not saying it's helped with weightloss....but it has helped me from becoming an ogre and raiding the kitchen because I've waited too long to eat.

Not eating at night, when I'm bored. Once I'm done with my calorie allowance....that's it until the next day.
    I am talking about from the perspective of "speeding up" your metabolism.
  • KrayKira
    KrayKira Posts: 230
    Options
    portion control.. I now only eat for one instead of for everyone..
    & I stop when I am full I don't feel the need to eat everything in sight..

I drink water now instead of just Coke...

I snack on fruit instead of chips and lollies (I do still have chocolate occasionally)
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Now I know what I'm eating and that eating better still tastes really good and isn't very expensive. Also, I don't drink much anymore (use to only drink socially but barely do that now too) and have mostly lost a taste for it.

Oh and hotdogs are the devil!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Controlling my general calorie intake (of course!) and managing it with exercise 6 times a week

More protein

Limiting refined carbs

Eating OFTEN and making healthy mini meals/snacks for myself! :happy:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Minimized (nearly cut out) candy, snack cakes and cookies. Minimized (but still periodically consume) ice cream. Minimized (just try to find healthier alternatives) fried foods... If I can get fish baked or grilled, I opt for that rather than fried... I do eat granola bars and protein bars in lieu of the candy... yes they are loaded with calories (in many cases) but usually not as many and offer some nutrition in return for the calories.. I also opt for more fruits and vegetables. I do still go over my calorie count many times -- as my weight has dropped I find it harder to stay within the bounds (when I was over 100 lbs overweight, my caloric allowances were higher... BUT I do still burn quite a few calories and have not really had any weight gain.. In fact, I have dropped at least a couple of pounds each month since I started in January so I feel I sm still on track though I am not losing quite as fast as I once was.
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    smaller plate at dinner, not as much alcohol (used to binge every saturday), less fast food, less mindless eating just because im bored.

edit: also less chips and dip. whole bag of potato chips and onion soup + (whole can of) reduced cream dip.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Oh and buffets... They are great BUT rather than 4-5 entrees, I load up on more salads and vegetables and minimize the entrees... Also once again, opt for baked chicken rather than fried... This is not to say I NEVER eat fried... Fried Catfish is hard to beat... but I do it in reasonable quantities and don't order the all you can eat version any more.
  • catinhounstooth
    Options
    Like several others said, my best change has been portion control. And going along with that, just listening to my body on when I'm full. I used to just eat right past the point of fullness at almost every meal. Slowing down just a little bit, or a lot of times I'll eat half of what's on my plate (at home. Half a plate in a restaurant is probably way too much!) and then just stop eating for several minutes, and sometimes I am already full!
    The best part is I don't get that awful overstuffed feeling anymore, and so I can get up and do something active after a meal.
    I used to put off doing the dishes after dinner because I felt like I couldn't move. So for me, one good side effect of my weight loss journey is a cleaner kitchen! Ha.
    Also, I have gotten way better at drinking water and that's important too.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    realizing i wont die without pizza and ice cream. i have more energy from eating healthier so i have energy to do stuff instead of sitting on the couch eating out of boredom
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything. I just eat what I want in proper portions.
  • mkanak
    mkanak Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Less alchohol and eating late at night.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I didn't make any eating changes to lose weight, but I think the best eating change I made was the decision to stop eating white bread and start eating whole grains.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've cut out fast food, and now I rarely drink fizzy drinks/soda, which was a really big thing for me.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Planning!

I plan and prepare most meals.

If I go somewhere, I take a snack with me. Apples, nuts, protein/fiber bar, etc.

If I go out to dinner, I check out the menu ahead of time and make the healthiest/tastiest choices.

If I go to a family event, that is always based on FOOD, I bring a healthy option for myself and limit myself to 2 other 1/2 cup choices of the 'bad stuff' and I always have dessert!

I skip fried stuff unless it's something I really want, like a fried breaded tenderloin, once in a while. The other stuff gags me to even think about it now anyway.

I keep fresh fruits and veggies in my house and used everything out of my garden this year!
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Realising that if i exercised i could eat more and still loose weight - want a snack, ran out of calories, walk round the block - simples!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    My eating habits weren't that bad to begin with but I have cut down portion sizes and I don't eat dessert as often as I used to.

Adding in exercise is what really made the difference for me. My life was just too sedentary.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The biggest change for me was not even opening my mouth until I knew EXACTLY what the nutrition was on what I was going to eat. If I can't count it, it isn't happening. Just being aware of what I was eating before, versus what I eat now is a major change.

^^^This for sure! Also, pre-planning and pre-logging my day, if at all possible (works great during the week, not so great on the weekends).