Looking for support from other Aussies :-D

Options
Hmmm, about me...
I have always struggled to maintain a good healthy weight. I am someone who has always had fitness in my life.
I was studying to be a fitness instructor, fit, healthy, happy and confident, I was struck with Chronic Fatigue and later diagnosed with Fibromyalgia Syndrome. It took me three years to work out my 'new' body, living with day-to-day pain. I seemed to have got it under control fairly well, got back into the gym and pool and was looking fantastic.
Then I met a man, we had a 9 year relationship which left me with a beautiful son. My son was a twin, unfortunately he did not make it. My son was born with a load of health issues. He had cardiac arrest three times and will need a kidney transplant when he is about 8-10.
I spent such a large part of the last four years sitting next to him in hospital that I can't begin to tell you what this did to my mental and physical health. My whole world stopped and I was jolted into a world of life or death. Lack of sleep, stress, grabbing food once a day and sadness took it's toll on my appearance and my soul.
My son, Austin Jack is four years old now he is a happy full on boy with the world at his doorstep. We still have stints in hospital and he is still living with only 20% Kidney function and half a kidney left. He is PEG fed at night and doesn't eat anything during the day. He is amazing and certainly someone I look up to and admire, strongest person I've ever met.
So, here I am, tired, unmotivated and lacking the support from family and friends, but I'm here and I'm going to give it everything, if not for anyone else but my son. I watched him endure so much in his short life he has put me and my problems into perspective, him and all the other ill children I've met along the way.

I'm hoping that once the weight starts to come off and I'm feeling a little better the fitness side of things will just fall into place and the energy will come back. I am a single mum and it's not easy but it's worth it and I'll do it!

Replies

• elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi or should I say gday?
    There are lots of Aussies here like myself. There is a group too called aussie, aussie, aussie.
    My best friend was diagnosed with fibro a few years ago. She is in sydney and has joined a great support group. I am sure you will make it on this journey as you obviously have a lot of strength.
    Feel free to add me and good luck on your journey
  • Ofaatu
    Ofaatu Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.. :)
  • ReneelovesD
    ReneelovesD Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response :-) I will have to check out that page. And yes, G'day Mate ;-p LOL.
  • maramarx
    Options
    Another Aussie here from Qld! u can add me if u like :)
  • helen8kids
    helen8kids Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not an Aussie, though would love to be!!! I'm actually a Canadian and approaching a cold winter, hence why i want to be an Aussie. You could also add me if you wish.
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm not an Aussie; however, I wanted to convey how moved I was by your post. I can not imagine what you have had to go through the past few years. My heart goes out to you and your son - he seems like a very motivating, strong little guy. That is a lot of stress for one person to handle. I wish you the absolute best in your journey and you can friend me if you'd like - even though I do not live is Australia. :smile:
  • lawrahmck
    Options
    Hey, there's heaps of us Aussies around! Sorry to hear you've had a rough time! Feel free to add me. I'm a Group Fitness Instructor so fitness has always been a part of my life too.