First Race!

Options
I did it! I am officially signed up for my first race on March 28 - Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago...8k (not 5) YIKES what was I thinking? I am very excited. Sam (my daughter) is coming too! Old Wheezy (me) will be crossing that finish line HAHA .

Any tips are appreciated!

Replies

• stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    PS: Training with a seasoned runner
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Just run. you have ample time to train believe it or not. Runners World has excellent free too training plans that you can print out. Run parts of the course in training, make sure you fuel your body before and after, do leg/ab/back workouts to keep your trunk strong, HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE(a nutritionist told us 20oz an hour before a run). There are many tips these are just the tip of the barrell!! Good LUCK!!!!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPod, iTunes offers podcasts called PodRunner. They have a Gateway to 8k program on there :)

And remember: there is no shame in walking. Crossing the finish line is the real prize.
  • stringsNlinks
    Options
    Just run. you have ample time to train believe it or not. Runners World has excellent free too training plans that you can print out. Run parts of the course in training, make sure you fuel your body before and after, do leg/ab/back workouts to keep your trunk strong, HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE(a nutritionist told us 20oz an hour before a run). There are many tips these are just the tip of the barrell!! Good LUCK!!!!!

20 oz???? I would have to pee to much.....might increase my time a lot! LOL
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Your body will adjust. I drink 90-120 oz a day on average. Needing to piddle prior to running is never a problem for me.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

20 oz???? I would have to pee to much.....might increase my time a lot! LOL
    By the time it settles and hydrates ur cells and bod you wont have to tinkle...I was also shocked but heard it at a marathon seminar from a nutrtionist from UPMC who also blogs on runners world....
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Do you think it would be safe to drink 30 oz prior to a marathon and 30 oz after if you know you can do it in about 3 hours? Not that I can do that, but I'm just not sure how one carries extra water with them without being weighed down by it.
  • stringsNlinks
    Options
    Thakns for the tips. I drink a lot of H2O now but 20 oz before running just sounds like a lot but I will try it while training. Wish me luck and again THANKS for the great ideas. I am so excited! Just hope it doesn't snow like it did last year! My brother runs this one all the time and he told me they had a blizzard last year. GRRRR & BRRRR