For the girls, or any doctors? :)

Options
2»

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It really could just be the way you are. Not everybody has regualr periods. My mom, sister, and I are all irregular. When I was younger, I would be 38 days, then 50 days, then 32 days, then 48 days, then 67 days, etc. That's just how it was for me. Everything else was healthy, my doctor was not concerned about it at all. Now that I'm in perimenopause, they're actually getting more regular (when this is the time that they're supposed to get irregular, lol). If it's a sudden change, you need to check into it quickly. If you've always been this way, and if you are otherwise healthy, and the periods don't bring other complications...you can probably just accept that this is how your individual body works. Don't rush, but do mention it to the doctor next time you're there.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Not a doc, but I am a Lab Tech (28 years). Doc should probably run a TSH, T3, T4 (common thyroid panels), FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone), and a CBC to check for anemia. Probably something very common and very curable. Lifting weights can jack up your periods, as well as cysts, which are very common.
  • shantelbing
    shantelbing Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about what everyone else is mentioning the "PCOS" thing? It could possibly be that, your doctor will let you know for sure. But I just wanted to mention that when I, as well as a bunch of my friends, become more active than usual we will generally miss our periods, it happens to me all the time when I used to train, or when I was playing volleyball, so I think that's also worth asking about
  • kristyb1982
    kristyb1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see that you went to the doctor and (s)he is going to run some tests. I personally stopped having periods about 4 or 5 years ago and my doctor told me that it was just because of the type of birth control that I was on. In May of this year, I went of the pill to get the Mirena and my period never came back. This summer, I started having tons of other problems and my new doctor tested me for celiac disease. It came back positive. I went gluten free on Thursday and my period came back on Saturday. I will say that since my diagnosis is so new (Oct 24), I am hypersensitive to anyone that has any type of celiac symptoms. I just don't want to see anyone go through years of pain and damage that can be prevented with a simple blood test. Please ask your doctor to test you for celiac disease. Many people have it and don't show any symptoms, my first symptom was no period.

And congratulations to the previous poster that has lost 396 pounds! What an inspiration! You are amazing!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It really could just be the way you are. Not everybody has regualr periods. My mom, sister, and I are all irregular. When I was younger, I would be 38 days, then 50 days, then 32 days, then 48 days, then 67 days, etc. That's just how it was for me. Everything else was healthy, my doctor was not concerned about it at all. Now that I'm in perimenopause, they're actually getting more regular (when this is the time that they're supposed to get irregular, lol). If it's a sudden change, you need to check into it quickly. If you've always been this way, and if you are otherwise healthy, and the periods don't bring other complications...you can probably just accept that this is how your individual body works. Don't rush, but do mention it to the doctor next time you're there.

Love your post...I'm exactly the same. Glad to know I'm not alone, lol. Nice to know I'm not losing my marbles. :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I had that when I was your age - it lasted until I was in my late 30's and had a second child. Periods going from 32-57 days.

Two things that affected it a lot were stress and also whether I was around other women. Working in mostly female settings I was regular as clockwork. Otherwise . . .

It was much worse when I was thinner (5'10", 135), but lasted until I was 170.

But it could be anything.
  • pizzabygeorge
    Options
    Anemia could be the issue, so if you go to the doctors they should honestly be testing your blood before some STI test (this generally comes down to sexism where doctors think the reason for all womanly problems is linked to promiscuity). If you're not anemic, you still could be showing symptoms your doctor might not look for. Sometimes a loss of your period means that your body is conserving the iron in the blood because it feels like it can't survive without it, as you're losing weight too fast. Try to eat more iron-rich foods, and it might help out. If not, your body could just be super-touchy to weight-loss or -gain. I used to lose my period on and off whether I lost or gained weight, and even if it was only a pound or so. Some bodies just can't take that sort of stress along with the stresses of daily life, I suppose.

If all else fails, you have to consider your birth control. If you're not on any method of birth control, then you are probably having an issue relating to your diet. If you are on birth control, however, it could just be your body rejecting the brand you're using. My birth control made my periods far heavier than they had ever been, and it made them three days late almost every month. It's annoying, but it's become a fact of life. Sometimes our periods just want to screw with us anyhow, so getting on a birth control method (such as the pill) can regulate the flow so it's a bit more predictable, and it can even reduce cramping or bleeding. If all else fails, always consult your doctor. If they're not helping, then please consult a female doctor who doesn't believe promiscuity and STI's are the cause of every issue within the female body!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Anemia could be the issue, so if you go to the doctors they should honestly be testing your blood before some STI test (this generally comes down to sexism where doctors think the reason for all womanly problems is linked to promiscuity). If you're not anemic, you still could be showing symptoms your doctor might not look for. Sometimes a loss of your period means that your body is conserving the iron in the blood because it feels like it can't survive without it, as you're losing weight too fast. Try to eat more iron-rich foods, and it might help out. If not, your body could just be super-touchy to weight-loss or -gain. I used to lose my period on and off whether I lost or gained weight, and even if it was only a pound or so. Some bodies just can't take that sort of stress along with the stresses of daily life, I suppose.

If all else fails, you have to consider your birth control. If you're not on any method of birth control, then you are probably having an issue relating to your diet. If you are on birth control, however, it could just be your body rejecting the brand you're using. My birth control made my periods far heavier than they had ever been, and it made them three days late almost every month. It's annoying, but it's become a fact of life. Sometimes our periods just want to screw with us anyhow, so getting on a birth control method (such as the pill) can regulate the flow so it's a bit more predictable, and it can even reduce cramping or bleeding. If all else fails, always consult your doctor. If they're not helping, then please consult a female doctor who doesn't believe promiscuity and STI's are the cause of every issue within the female body!

:laugh: You totally just freaked me out. By your avatar I thought you were a man responding.....then read about your periods. lol
  • grace_eliza
    grace_eliza Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not a doc, but I am a Lab Tech (28 years). Doc should probably run a TSH, T3, T4 (common thyroid panels), FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone), and a CBC to check for anemia. Probably something very common and very curable. Lifting weights can jack up your periods, as well as cysts, which are very common.

My paper which is for my blood test shows these codes, some of which youve covered : D1-5, FSH/LH, E2, SHBG, TFTS??

No idea what some of them are.. but I kno theres thyroid in there and the hormone.

Don't think I'm being checking for anaemia or celliac, but when I return to the doctors it might be worth asking.

Just want to say to everyone... Thank-you so much for your support and help!!! xx
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Love your post...I'm exactly the same. Glad to know I'm not alone, lol. Nice to know I'm not losing my marbles. :smile:

:-) It's sort of annoying, really. Not a health issue. But really obnoxioius when you're trying to make vacation plans!!