Do you have to be American to have thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Of course not. Thanksgiving also means celebrating with your family/friends and being thankful for all that you have. And of course enjoying yummy food!
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    To me personally, Thanksgiving means getting up early in the morning and visiting my in-laws and bringing food, then driving to another town to visit my Grandmother and Sister's Family. I would much rather just visit them and have a potluck whenever we feel like instead of both on a specific day when there is more traffic.

I do not personally like any 'commercialized obligation days' I don't celebrate Valentine's day, Easter or Christmas I'm working on Thanksgiving too but my in-laws won't budge much. (But my husband has started booking our anniversary trips so that we are out of town on Christmas and it gives them no choice.)

I guess it's neat for kids, but I just don't see the point. I love my family and I visit them when I feel like it. I can't stand all the commercials or nearly every store asking for 'donations' all during Nov and Dec so they can use your money to help with tax write offs. I'm not jaded or bitter, I just don't like being manipulated by corporations and advertising.

If you want have a nice meal with your family, then you should any time you feel like it. Call it whatever you wish. :)
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is a holiday to take a step back and take a look at your life. All of the things in your life that are stressing you out or are frustrating you... how important are they? And especially, how important are they in comparison to your friends, your family, your loved ones, your health, and all of the joys that you get to experience in life? Thanksgiving is a time to look at your life and understand that you are blessed, and the little things don't matter. So let's enjoy the blessings we have and be thankful for them.

I don't care where your from, but if you can appreciate that sentiment, then Happy Thanksgiving. :smile:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am English, but moved to the States 20 years ago. I have no problems with celebrating American holidays!

Thanksgiving is a very ingrained part of American culture. They probably miss their family and friends, and want to keep their traditions going. It is good that you are going to eat with them!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Best Fourth of July party I ever attended was on a RAF base.

That is one of the funniest things I ever heard! That isn't illegal in the UK??? :wink:

You have never seen so many pale people fail at softball lol.

Hahahahaha! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It's time off work to travel home (we live out of state) and enjoy family time. :)
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Its just an excuse to get fat... so since we are all fat here, i think we all have been celebrating Thanksgiving, no matter where we are from
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I would. Really, we don't really put much emphasis on our forefathers on Thanksgiving. It is more or less a day to celebrate what you have and MORE importantly the people in your life. Most of the time it's very lighthearted and spent with those closest to you. It's not much about history anymore.
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    you dont have to be. enjoy the day and the food!!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The girl from NJ is probably excited to be sharing this American tradition with her UK friends. Just let her do her thing and enjoy it!

Exactly.

People celebrate other holidays that they aren't culturally attached to-cinco de mayo, St. Patrick's Day etc.
    Go, eat and have fun!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Nah! It's just food and friends and family. Be thankful for your life. That knows no nationality. :happy:
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Being thankful for your friends, family, and good health are reasons enough for Thanksgiving. I'm an American living in Canada, so I celebrate twice each year...this year, I'm inviting a bunch of ex-pat Americans out to dinner, along with my Canadian family/friends. It doesn't take much to get them out...just the promise of turkey is enough.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    no more then you need to be french to enjoy Bastille Day.

Oui, Oui!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in Canada. I get TWO Thanksgivings. YAY me! :laugh:
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    For me its 90% about time with family and catching up. Taking time out of our busy life to just sit and talk and be together. Thats it plain and simple.

The other 10% is the food. I didnt get to 250+lbs bc I love jogging :)
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    We are imigrants to the U.S...mind you next year willb e 40 years..but we embrace Thanksgiving as a day to give thanks to God for all that we have..a time to be thankful for family..and of course..eating..

we didnt start having Turkey till I was 22..up until then..we always had lamb biriyani..us "american" kids revolted..and demanded turkey..LOL
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If I was supposed to be giving thanks to my fore fathers all these years, that was lost on me. Oops.

I think of the hoilday as time to spend with family, sharing food and just taking a moment to focus on what you are thankful for and appreciative of in your life.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think modern Americans think of it either as a day to eat, watch American football, and have the day off from work OR...a day be thankful for all your blessings in life.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    People come to the US and celebrate customs from their home country, don't see why Americans can't do the same. It could be fun, and turkey is delicious.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    As an american, I consider thanksgiving a day to celebrate all we have to be thankful for, I have never focused on the beginning since most of that is legend that has grown up around a simple event way back when. (I also have a lot of American indian in my background.) We should always take a pause to examine both our lives and all the ways we can be thankful and be sure that others have something to be thankful for. Celebrate and be thankful for such wonderful friends.