Hope for those who "fear" the Holidays

Options
Good morning everyone!

The last few weeks I have been messaged, e-mailed and have read posts/statuses about people who are dreading the Holidays. I can understand the pressure...most of us have will have to deal with our favorite treats and food pushers. Some of us, don't know how to navigate through all this excess. We fear we will lose what precious ground we have gained in our weightloss and health journeys.

My message to everyone is to relax!:smile: We have over 300 and some days to make healthy choices. Strive for that...if you make 90% good choices and 10% bad...you will be well on your way to a healthier YOU! Indulging in one Thanksgiving or Christmas meal is not going to undo all your hard work. So eat ONE PIECE of your Grandma's pie.... Just be sure you don't continue it for weeks!

Good luck all!:drinker:

Replies

• wolfehound22
    Options
    I've lived by a basic rule when it comes to this stuff, one day won't hurt your progress, and if it does your not working hard enough. The way we fully commit to this lifestyle change is dealing with everyday life, meaning holidays, birthdays and events will happen, and you need to enjoy these, don't go crazy, but if you don't allow yourself to induldge now and then, then you will fail. Have fun, this is the new you, and your new way of living, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

- Adam
  • noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That's how I see it as well. Enjoy! Think about all that you have to be truly thankful for, and if you can do something for the less fortunate amid your holiday festivities then you have brought things full circle.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've lived by a basic rule when it comes to this stuff, one day won't hurt your progress, and if it does your not working hard enough. The way we fully commit to this lifestyle change is dealing with everyday life, meaning holidays, birthdays and events will happen, and you need to enjoy these, don't go crazy, but if you don't allow yourself to induldge now and then, then you will fail. Have fun, this is the new you, and your new way of living, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

- Adam

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Adam!
  • Victoria2448
    Options
    That's how I see it as well. Enjoy! Think about all that you have to be truly thankful for, and if you can do something for the less fortunate amid your holiday festivities then you have brought things full circle.

Great point!

Concentrating on others, rather than yourself!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Enjoy yourself without making habits out of those indulgences.
  • Victoria2448
    Options
    Absolutely! Enjoy yourself without making habits out of those indulgences.

Happy Thanksgiving Squishy! :happy:
  • jilllemar
    Options
    Yeah its on my mind. I just talked to my trainer about this and she told me to make plans for the food events coming up. So for tomorrow I will plan what and how much of stuff I am going to eat before we sit down to dinner. I will even measure since I am great at convincing myself its half a cup when its really 2 cups of stuffing on my plate.

I've made too much progress to loose it now. If I can't plan for the event then I will skip it before I go backwards. I feel like I am at a dangerous place right now and I am NOT going back. I WILL be under 200 lbs by April and I Will be down 100 lbs by my 34th birthday in July. Then maybe these things won't be such an issue for me, but now, way too scary.

I may be in the food line at the family Christmas party checking calories on MFP, but it will be worth it.
  • cassiesdad
    Options
    I love your takes Vickie!! You always tell it the way it is!!