Convince me about running

Options
I hate running... I know that before I can ever start running I need to change my thinking, maybe even the words that I use, when I think about running. None are very pleasant.

However, I am a big guy. I have on occasion, gotten up from the couch to go run a mile. Maybe I was inspired by a movie, maybe, I was just a glutton for punishment. Either way I was able to struggle through... in pain.

I hate the sore joints, and I can only remember once the 'runner's high' achieved as a child running for the track and field team. (I threw shot put and discus. I had to run as part of the team, not by choice.)

So why this cult of shoe and road? What is it that makes it possible for you to get up early in the morning and trudge five or ten miles no matter the weather?

I am interested in joining the cult... even have the dixie cup held out for my daily dose of Kool-Aid... Just need a nudge in the right direction.

Replies

• lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I would have laughed had someone told me I'd be up to running 2 miles a day... and... what's that?... ENJOYING it?????? Getting started for me was incredibly hard, but the more I pushed, the easier the next run was.

Why am I so committed? I don't know. I think it's the way I feel after a run. I feel strong and accomplished. It's something that I can always work on improving, whether it's distance or speed; therefore, I'm always planning and looking forward to the next run.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Slow down so that it's not so painful. Start a program like C25K that will help you build endurance.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to get up before dawn and run 10 miles to be a runner. I've never seen the sunrise yet and usually run between 5 & 7K a couple times a week. If you want to enjoy running then you need to do it on terms that work for you.

C25K is a great way to start out and if you want to do it after work, on weekends, on the treadmill, go for it. I can't say that I get a runners high but I've never come back from a run wishing I hadn't done it. If you start slowly, have the proper shoes, learn good form and listen to your body you don't have to have aching joints although you might have some muscles screaming for a couple weeks!

Give it a try and if you hate it, then you hate it. Not everyone has to be the same!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to join this cult? There are lots of cults to join....gym rats, soccer teams, hikers etc. Why running? What pulls you to it? The only way you will get the motivation is to dig deep inside yourself and figure out your "why". For me, it was my mother's diagnosis of blood cancer. I wanted to do something that made a difference, so when I heard about Team In Training, I joined. And I had NEVER been a runner before. They trained me to run a half marathon while I raised funds to put an end to blood cancer. With every step I thought of the battle my mother was going through and how nothing about running was anywhere near as bad as that. It inspired me to do it for her, for the other people with blood cancer and the other team mates I had who were running in memory or in honor of someone. But that is MY story. You have to find yours. I hope you do. It's an awesome cult :drinker:
  • FitEndAg_i
    Options
    Ride a bike(just a good ole single-speed), if just for a bit, up to you. I've got quite the physical self turnaround story. Too long for here, send me a message and I'll share it or join our group, "A Spirit of Fitness." Good Health to You!
  • JMSKCW
    JMSKCW Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way so I started training for a half marathon (completed on 11/3/12). Next week, I am starting training for my second half marathon, so I guess whatever was in the Kool-Aid worked.

Also, I bought new shoes which has helped with joint issues, knee problems, and shin splints.

I'm not a great runner but my desire to get better keeps me pushing through (not to mention, the faster you can go, the quicker those miles are over...)

Good luck!
  • TrinityTrinityTrinity
    Options
    I was inspired by many people on another forum to do Couch to 5k. I wanted to get fit and loved the idea of working out every other day. I LOVED it! Prior to that, I tried running and couldn't do it. It hurt, I couldn't breathe. Couch to 5k (C25k) made it so easy for me to do it. The increments of running make it challenging yet doable to obtain. I did have to do some weeks twice but made it to doing a 5k, then got injured and it's been 11 months then yesterday was my 1st run in almost a year.

My advice to avoid injuries...at least from my experience: cross train and make sure you are strengthening your calves so you don't get plantar fasciitis and shin splints. Ice after every run.

I became addicted and loved it.

edit: you need to be fitted for good shoes, those can make or break your run
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Ok, the reason why I want to be 'the joiner' is that I secretly craved being able to run. I was a power lifter in college and spent an enormous amount of time, money, etc in the gym. I like the idea of being able to run simply because it is something I can do just about anywhere. Because I am a consultant on the road, I need to be able to find an activity that allows for this.

I have hit a great weight loss goal. It was what I believe was hindering me from picking up running before. All that extra weight on the joints wasn't a good idea. I think that I am ready to step of to the plate.
  • mkanak
    mkanak Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You will really feel great afterwards from the hormones released, its like DRUGS!
  • paradise_runs
    paradise_runs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love running. In 2 months, it helped me drop 20 lbs, and I was in great shape! It really releases a lot of stress, too. Finding a real reason to run is crucial though. I started because of a life-changing experience; the death of a close friend. Now, I run a half marathon every year in her honor, and every year I continue to get a new personal record! Running is great exercise for both body and mind!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Running was not easy when I started. At all. But now I am at the point where it is. And when you're having a good run you feel like you're flying. I feel strong and powerful, and it just feels amazing. And it makes me want to get up at 5 a.m. and run. And on the days that I don't want to get up I just say to myself, "Do you want to go for a run or do you want to be fat?" And then I get out of bed. :laugh:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Slow down so that it's not so painful. Start a program like C25K that will help you build endurance.

This.

I started running at about 215lbs. It hurt. A lot. Now that I weigh less (184lbs, I'm 5'6"), it doesn't hurt anymore. So, either wait until it doesn't hurt or deal with the pain in the meantime.

Also, make sure you get fitted for shoes. The right shoes make a world of difference. When I started, I needed stability shoes. They really helped me. I'm in a neutral shoe now, as my needs have changed when I lost weight. A specialty running store can help you find the perfect shoe - and it will probably alleviate some of the pain.
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options
    I am like you in that its something that has always had a pull on me - the idea of being able to run. I'm heavy - 256 at the moment and I am on week 4 of C25K. So don't look at it as getting out there and just running a mile. I'm not doing that yet but I am running (at walking speed :blushing: ) but I am pleased with myself that I am doing it!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Ok, the reason why I want to be 'the joiner' is that I secretly craved being able to run. I was a power lifter in college and spent an enormous amount of time, money, etc in the gym. I like the idea of being able to run simply because it is something I can do just about anywhere. Because I am a consultant on the road, I need to be able to find an activity that allows for this.

I have hit a great weight loss goal. It was what I believe was hindering me from picking up running before. All that extra weight on the joints wasn't a good idea. I think that I am ready to step of to the plate.

Excellent!! re ready to step up to the plate!! That "secretly craving" part is what is going to get you out there for a run. No one else can better convince you to do it.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

This.

I started running at about 215lbs. It hurt. A lot. Now that I weigh less (184lbs, I'm 5'6"), it doesn't hurt anymore. So, either wait until it doesn't hurt or deal with the pain in the meantime.

Also, make sure you get fitted for shoes. The right shoes make a world of difference. When I started, I needed stability shoes. They really helped me. I'm in a neutral shoe now, as my needs have changed when I lost weight. A specialty running store can help you find the perfect shoe - and it will probably alleviate some of the pain.

All of the above. C25k has helped a lot of people and here is a group for it on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

One of the biggest mistakes beginners (myself included) make is trying to go too far, too fast, too soon. Just take it easy. Start with walks if you need to, then intersperse walking and jogging, and go from there. Just dedicate that time to yourself, even 30 minutes three or four times a week. It's your time to yourself and your thoughts. You're investing in your body and giving yourself a rush of endorphins by getting your blood pumping. I often use walks and jog intervals to clear my head. You may not always enjoy being out there trudging - some days are definitely more satisfying than others - but you always feel good when you're done and you know you've banked that time into your health and well-being.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Running is what the human body is designed to do and humans are in first place for endurance running amongst all mammals. To run is to be human and not running is an abberation that prevents your body from living to its fullest.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    If you run you can eat more food.

I love food.
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have also wanted to be a runner, those you see running effortlessly listening to their get up and go music. I so want that too :wink: What is C25K? Seems like a good place to start.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/how-start-running-abandon-all-reason

Good article (pretty funny...I'm sure most of us who run started this way...)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Buy a bike.

Pass runners...