Tony Horton's P90X

Options
Has anyone tried P90X by Tony Horton? I don't know a lot about it other then there are 12 different 1 hour workouts and the premise is muscle confusion (something different everyday). You need resistance bands and somewhere to due pull-ups. God, I don't think I could do a pull up if my life depended on it! This sounds good, but I'm afraid this would be way too hard for me. I would appreciate insights anyone might have. Thanks!

Replies

• Claudina
    Claudina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it myself but my chiropractor uses it, and a couple of coworkers do. My boyfriend has reviewed some of the DVDs (he got me them but I'm still too intimidated, but also haven't gotten into full swing of exercising and routine, so I may try later because I'll need it for my end goal) and he always tells me there are exercises and DVDs someone like me can do (i.e., you don't have to do it all, so it doesn't have to be hard). Apparently, during the exercises Tony will say something like, 'if this is too hard, or hurts, try doing it this way', so he's constantly giving you easier ways to still do the exercises. My coworker, a guy, is doing it fully and says he feels great. My chiropractor was doing it with his wife, they were feeling great. I'm not there yet, but if you are, don't be intimidated - try it. :)
    Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    P90X is intended for those that are already in really good shape. It will help take them to the "next level" of fitness. If you are interested but not that experienced with intense workouts I would suggest start with Power 90, or challene (sp?) extreme then try P90X.
  • krisloock
    krisloock Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X a few rounds through and it has gotten me into the best shape of my life (after having 2 kids....) ! It does seem a little intimidating in the beginning and I wasn't able to do any pull-ups the first month or two but I started by using the bands (doing pull-downs in the doorway; one of the modifications) and by the end of the second round I WAS doing pull-ups (I can only do one or two unassisted but then I use a chair to assist so I can get more reps). The key is determination...don't miss workouts and eat SUPER CLEAN and you will absolutely see great results!

I agree with the previous poster...if you are just beginning, power 90 or another program may be better.
  • ErikaSudz
    Options
    I am on my 4th week doing it. I am 5' 2" and my starting weight was 38 pounds. I am down 6 pounds and 6 inches. It is a hard workout though. What I love about it is they show modified moves for almost every set so even if you aren't physically fit you can still participate. I love the variety and routines, just about the time you say you can't take it he changes it up or a break comes up and then you are right back at it again. Good luck!

Erika
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    P90X is an extreme workout! If you feel that it may be a little too much for you, try Power 90 instead. It has a few different levels so that anyone can start and see results. Once you've done a 90 day cycle, just reasses yourself and see if your ready to move on to P90X. If not, there is a Power 90 Master Series that's is challenging but not as challenging as P90X.

I don't know if you've seen it but if not you can check it out at www.beachbodycoach.com/FITSALSERA
  • gperry227
    Options
    Good info!!! I ordered the Insanity from that Beachbody.com...
    the P90X looked a little too confusing with weights, bands all other stuff.. the insanity just uses your own body. I did the fit test the other day and it was so HARD!!! It is no joke!!! I havent started the workouts... Im scared. :cry:
  • Michelle923
    Michelle923 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....think I'll hold off on the P90X for a while! :noway:
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Good info!!! I ordered the Insanity from that Beachbody.com...
    the P90X looked a little too confusing with weights, bands all other stuff.. the insanity just uses your own body. I did the fit test the other day and it was so HARD!!! It is no joke!!! I havent started the workouts... Im scared. :cry:

Insanity and P90X are different workouts. P90X is an overall fitness program that incorporates strength training. Insanity is aerobic and plyometric exercises. Insanity is also geared more toward experienced individuals, not for beginners.

P90X isn't really confusing: you use EITHER weights OR bands, whichever you have or can get.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I agree with wierdfish!
    I have done and still use Insanity. (This is EXTREME and if you are NOT into a fitness program now do not order it, try a lower intense cardio until you have built up your cardio indurance) but right now I am in my second month of P90X and am finding it a little boring compared to my high octane insane Insanity. I WILL continue to do my X and throw in some Insanity on the cardio days for a higher fat burn but YES you can do P90X! It is a modify to what you can do program. You will need hand weights, a mat, good shoes, rubber tubing/bands if you can not do a pull up while using a chin up bar. I have an old soloflex that I use for all the pull up or pull down moves because even though i am fit and strong I just have not been able to do one! I love it because it is structured to take care of ALL parts of your body! My advice is to go over every disk to see what you will need and be prepared to change up weights etc. I am already advancing and I know anybody can do this!! I wish you the best!
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    P90X is intended for those that are already in really good shape. It will help take them to the "next level" of fitness. If you are interested but not that experienced with intense workouts I would suggest start with Power 90, or challene (sp?) extreme then try P90X.

I was planning on doing P90X but after just reading the physical test I decided to do POWER90 first, i'm completing my 3rd week and i've already seen a LOT of very nice changes, i've lost about 15lbs already and i've got way more energy !

All you need is resistence bands or dumbelles and i'd suggest a yoga mat for the sit ups.

The training is very easy to follow, you start with sweat 1-2 and abbripper 100 1 day, and sculpt 1-2 the next day for 6 days and one day off. When you feel confident you switch to Sweat3-4 and sculpt3-4, wich are basicly the same as the other ones but more intense. The workouts are realy easy to do, T.H. also shows the alternate movement to some exercises if they're too hard for you!

It comes with a diet plan that really helped me get started in my weight lost!

Hope that helped!!

JF