New to fitness pal and wanted to share my story

Options
Hey everyone,

My name is Erika. I am a 40 year old mother of two boys and remarried to my love now for almost 2 years. I've been battling weights issues since I was about 26. I had always been thin but not fit. I had never really had to worry about my weight. Around 26 it started to pile on. I am 5' 2" so any weight on me really shows. At 27 I was married to a nice guy, at 32 I had my first son and another one at 34. I gained 77 pounds with my first pregnancy and 56 with my 2nd. After both boys were born I stayed over the 200 mark. Right about the time my youngest turned 1 I decided I had enough. I was 228 pounds and not happy with anything in my life. I wasn't happy with my husband, who all though a nice guy just not there emotionally for me, I was not happy with my weight etc. The only thing that made me truly happy were my kids. I started my journey then and went from 228 pounds to 160. At one point I remember having a conversation with a friend of mine and saying "I will be so happy if I could just get to 150 again". Shortly after that I hit the 150 mark and found myself still NOT happy so I kept going. Eventually my marriage broke up and I found myself moving on. My ex and I are very good friends to this day we just aren't good as married people. I kept working out and watching what I ate and got down to 120 pounds. I remarried a much younger man that is very fit. We were all one big happy family. In October of 08 I started working at a local hospital here on the midnight shift. From that first week on the weight started piling back on, I had major health issues (which is something that never happened to me before), my periods stopped, I cried all the time, I packed on almost 20 pounds. No matter what I did I couldn't get my body to cooperate not only with the weight but my hormones, the depression etc. Finally a Dr told me that was I was suffering from was MalAdaptation Syndrome. See when you are awake during the day your brain gives off Serotonin and when you sleep it gives of melatonin. Some people are day people and some are night people. I was a day person. He told me to immediately stop working midnights and give my body time to heal. That was in March 09. So here I am. I just started the P90X program and I am on week 4 and loving it. I am down 6 pounds total in 4 weeks and 6 inches! I had hit a plateau and a friend of mine suggested this site. I love this place it makes it so much easier to find out exactly how much you have eaten and how much you have burned. Hope to chat with all of you sometime and hear your stories.

Erika AKA MrsSudz

Replies

• johnmcfarm
    Options
    Great story! You have really been on an adventure with your weight. Congratulations on the success you have had, I think you will find myfitnesspal.com (mfp) a great site for staying pumped.

See you around,

John
  • PaigeG
    PaigeG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss success so far! MyFitnessPal wil be a great tool for you on your weight loss journey. Good luck!!
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    WOW! Your story sounds like mine...
    I am 42 with 3 children of my own and 2 step, its a bit of a long story but I totally understand where you are coming from.
    I remarried my love and gained a stone in 2 years, which could be worse!, but here I am to try and gain control. I had a similar weight loss campaign as you and went down to a skinny skinny thing with Bulimia, it was horrible . So I am here to try and get some control and get healthy.
    My new lovely husband is very ill however and I am now his full-time carer so that affects my eating somewhat!

Anyway if you need a friend I would like to volunteer!

My children are 13, 10, 9 and step daughter is 10, step son from my first marrige now 20!
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I suffer from problems with serotonin myself, was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome about fifteen years ago. I managed to get my health back under control, even though I occasionally still have prblems with serotonin and sleep issues. Life is a constant balancing act. I found myself happy these past two years since I reconnected with the love of my youth. (Our wedding is set for this JUne................almost thirty years after the date we were originally to get married!) I found myself putting on weight. I have been a size 6 most of my adult life, but staying there has never been easy. I kept convincing myself that ten pounds looked pretty bad on my five foot frame. Then I saw the pictures from Christmas and my brother asked me if I was pregnant!! I finally stepped on the scale and realized I had thirty pounds to lose!!!
    MFP has been a great place to watch and chart my progress as well as meeting people that are supportive and helpful. Good luck on your journey!
  • Dgrvs7
    Options
    Hi Erika,
    WOW....you have been on a rollercoaster for sure. COngrats on your progress though. DONT give up, just keep pushing forward! I see you are a fighter and thats what it takes, I guess. If you ever need to chat, Im here. And this site is GREAT!
    Debbie