Want to build muscle, not lose weight. More protein?

Options
I've just started going to the gym - have only been 4 times so far and have already lost 1kg.
I'm actually not trying to lose weight anymore, I want to build muscle. I do have a very small amount of fat left to burn from my hips/butt but I was expecting muscle gains to cancel that out on the scale as its a really tiny amount.
I'm eating at maintenance and usually eat back my exercise calories.
Had a look at my diary and realised I've been a bit under on my protein lately, and was thinking that might be why I'm losing weight, ie. I'm burning fat at the gym but dont have enough protein to build any muscle. Does that sound reasonable?

Does anyone have tips for upping my protein intake. Dinner is no problem, I will do some meals with chicken, beans etc, but looking for some high protein options that are easy to add to breakfast, lunch and snacks.

My husband thinks I need to just up my calories, but I'm worried it will all go back to my hips. At the same time I really dont want to keep losing at this rate as my upper body, which never stores any fat, is getting REALLY skinny (ie. visible ribs, not a good look).

Any suggestions welcomed.

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You might need a combination of more calories and more protein. Your calculated maintenance might be too low. Other than exercise, I lead a fairly sedentary life, but I need to have my daily activity set to active AND eat all my exercise calories to get enough. I switched a few months ago to eating based on my TDEE, so I eat the same amount every day.

As far as adding more protein, try adding a little more to each meal. Hard boiled egg with breakfast, an extra couple slices of lunchmeat if you have a sandwich, another ounce or two of whatever meat you're having for dinner.

I got sick of sandwiches, so I got a bunch of frozen entrees to have for lunch, but they're usually pretty low in protein, so I baked some extra chicken early in the week and chop that up and add an ounce or two to the frozen dinner. And often a sprinkle of cheese on top, too.

I like protein bars because they taste as good as candy bars and can pack up to 20g of protein. Protein powder can help a lot, too. I don't much like shakes, but I add it to the milk I pour on my cereal. Good way to add protein and calories to an easy breakfast without adding extra volume.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle..You're going to have to get comfortable with the fact that you'll gain some fat a long with it.

If you want to lose (shrink) fat...You're going to have to get comfortable with the face that you'll lose some muscle.

Your macro %'s and training volume/frequency will determine how much of what you'll gain/lose.

In my experience gaining more than 1/2/lb per week results in excessive and avoidable fat gain. Losing more than 3/4/lb per week erodes more muscle tissue than necessary.

But your mileage will vary...I have a friend who downs pizza, fries, and burgers and is still larger, stronger, and more shredded than me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    By build muscle do you mean you want larger muscles? Eg hypertrophy or more muscle mass? Or do you want you want to have better looking muscle structure? This means 2 different approaches.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight while on maintenance, MFP's maintenance is probably too low for you. Up your activity level, or custom up your calories.

Being "too skinny" on top and still fat on the bottom is my problem too. I did exactly what you want to do, I added muscle. I did this by eating OVER maintenance (about 3000 calories a day) and following a hypertrophy lifting program. I did what I wanted, balanced my upper body and my lower body. I did gain an inch or so on each thigh, but really that's not a big deal.

Bulking is scary though. I'd get your maintenance calories figured out first. Add calories until you stop losing. Stay there for a few weeks. Then decide if you want to try to gain.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight, you are not at maintenance. To build muscle you need to be at a surplus.

Re protein - try to get at least 1g per lb of LBM.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far. Building muscle requires resistance/strength training, a calorie surplus, and sufficient protein. The training and protein are the easy parts... the calorie surplus is tricky. The greater the surplus, the more you'll maximize muscle gains, but you'll also increase fat gains. The smaller the surplus, the smaller the gains will be (both muscle gains and fat gains).

And on a side note... building muscle is a MUUUUCH slower process than most people want to believe. You can easily lose 1 lb in a week or 2, but gaining 1lb of muscle is going to take MUCH longer. Just wanted to make sure you're expectations were in check.
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    Thanks for great advice. I'm entering a whole new area, got a lot to learn I think.
    What is a hypertrophy lifting program? I just want some more muscle definition, not bulk.

Going to very slightly increase my calories for now and see what happens - can anybody tell me if its possible to manually adjust my calorie settings on MFP? I thought I saw this option ages ago but can't find it now.

Thanks again, feeling very clueless right now!!!
  • barbzwithtatts
    Options
    Yes, eat more protein and don't do a lot of cardio. Do a few minutes to get your heart rate going and then start on the strength training.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    You don't have to increase body fat when increasing muscle; this is still routed in the 70's bodybuilding mentality of bulking then cutting. Nutrition timing post workout will eliminate most of the unwanted fat deposits from excess calories if timed correctly.

Hypertrophy is the growth of muscles from the trauma of stress by overloading the fibres, commonly known as lifting heavy weights. After the trauma, you need to provide the nutrients your body requires for the muscles to grow back bigger and stronger. Adaptive overload for the body is essential to adjust with the increased physical demands. Six to eight repetitions per set of heavy weights it a good place to start for hypertrophy.

Protein will assist in the repair and growth of the muscles and carbohydrates will shuttle the amino acids along with glucose around the body to replenish muscle glycogen.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Thanks for great advice. I'm entering a whole new area, got a lot to learn I think.
    What is a hypertrophy lifting program? I just want some more muscle definition, not bulk.

Going to very slightly increase my calories for now and see what happens - can anybody tell me if its possible to manually adjust my calorie settings on MFP? I thought I saw this option ages ago but can't find it now.

Thanks again, feeling very clueless right now!!!
    Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom

While you're there, you should adjust your percentage breakdown to 40% Protein and 30% Fat/Carbs. That should put you close to your optimal protein intake.

Be mentally prepared for the fact that building muscle, especially as a woman, is a very slow process. Best of luck to you :)
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    Thanks for that!

I'm really not too stressed about gaining muscle quickly, I just want to start to look a bit 'tighter' and anything beyond that is a bonus, I'm willing to wait. Just really dont want to start looking losing any more right now.

How much cardio is too much? At the moment I'm just doing about 10 mins on the treadmill as a warmup at the gym, and occasionally I might do another 10 mins after the workout. I do gym three times a week, 30 day shred two days, then on Saturdays I go for a big run (5 - 7kms), is that ok? I really enjoy that run.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that!

I'm really not too stressed about gaining muscle quickly, I just want to start to look a bit 'tighter' and anything beyond that is a bonus, I'm willing to wait. Just really dont want to start looking losing any more right now.

How much cardio is too much? At the moment I'm just doing about 10 mins on the treadmill as a warmup at the gym, and occasionally I might do another 10 mins after the workout. I do gym three times a week, 30 day shred two days, then on Saturdays I go for a big run (5 - 7kms), is that ok? I really enjoy that run.
    If you're going to start a more serious weight or resistance program, I would ditch the 30 day shred. Besides, that, if you enjoy your run I'm not going to tell you not to do it.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    You don't have to increase body fat when increasing muscle; this is still routed in the 70's bodybuilding mentality of bulking then cutting. Nutrition timing post workout will eliminate most of the unwanted fat deposits from excess calories if timed correctly.

No need to get excessively fat, but a 1:1 muscle to fat gain is fairly common whilst trying to put on muscle mass. You don't gain muscle when you train. You gain it at rest. Post workout protein helps get it in, but you will have a good level of nitrogen/protein in your blood as long as you have a good consistent diet, which as a good trainer looking to build muscle, you should do.
    Hypertrophy is the growth of muscles from the trauma of stress by overloading the fibres, commonly known as lifting heavy weights. After the trauma, you need to provide the nutrients your body requires for the muscles to grow back bigger and stronger. Adaptive overload for the body is essential to adjust with the increased physical demands. Six to eight repetitions per set of heavy weights it a good place to start for hypertrophy.

6-8 is the lower end of hypertrophy, if anything strength training. 8-12 reps will mean slightly lower weights and less stress on joints/ligament and thus less chance of injury.
    Protein will assist in the repair and growth of the muscles and carbohydrates will shuttle the amino acids along with glucose around the body to replenish muscle glycogen.

Carbs are not required post workout here which I think you are infering. No difference between whey and whey with a carb 'shuttle'.

Please do not listen to this person. She doesn't know much, to be polite.
  • mmapags
    Options

No need to get excessively fat, but a 1:1 muscle to fat gain is fairly common whilst trying to put on muscle mass. You don't gain muscle when you train. You gain it at rest. Post workout protein helps get it in, but you will have a good level of nitrogen/protein in your blood as long as you have a good consistent diet, which as a good trainer looking to build muscle, you should do.

6-8 is the lower end of hypertrophy, if anything strength training. 8-12 reps will mean slightly lower weights and less stress on joints/ligament and thus less chance of injury.

Carbs are not required post workout here which I think you are infering. No difference between whey and whey with a carb 'shuttle'.

Please do not listen to this person. She doesn't know much, to be polite.

Matt's info is far more accurate than the poster he is quoting. It's next to impossible to not gain any body fat while building muscle and is a long tedious process if attempted. But it does not sound like hypertrophy is what you want. You just want a leaner more musclular body. Any of the begginer programs would help you. My personal favorite is Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe. If you eat at maintenance and do a program like this, you will develop your exiting muscle tissue and getting leaner looking with more defined muscle structure.
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You can still eat at a calorie deficit and still gain muscle while losing weight. You do not need to eat at a calorie surplus to gain muscle. What you need to do is eat 80%-100% of your body weight in protein, while doing full body workouts 2-3 times a week. Cardio is important as well.

If you don't want to lose weight, but want to gain muscle, just figure out what your TDEE is and eat around your TDEE while still eating enough protein to build muscle.
  • mmapags
    Options
    You can still eat at a calorie deficit and still gain muscle while losing weight. You do not need to eat at a calorie surplus to gain muscle. What you need to do is eat 80%-100% of your body weight in protein, while doing full body workouts 2-3 times a week. Cardio is important as well.

And how would you gain muscle tissue while in a calorie/ energy deficit? Please cite le a legitimate proof sources for your reasoning. It is generally accepted that you can develop existing muscle tissue while in a deficit but cannot gain muscle tissue unless you are obese, a newbie or an athelete returning to training after a layoff. In all of these cases, the gains are minimal. A couple of pounds. Additionally, if you are trying to gain muscle tissue, cardio is counter productive due to hormonal responses that work against each other.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that!

So sounds like you just want to eat at maintenance and lift. You probably could accomplish some "body re-composition" doing that, it just takes longer. Start adding 200 calories a week until you stop losing, then stay there. My maintenance is about 2400, so just be aware it might be much higher than you (or MFP) thinks.

So you are doing cardio 3 times a week and lifting 3 times? That should be fine.
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I really don't have to cite proof, as it is general knowledge, and as I am 20% under my TDEE while still eating close to my body weight in protein, I am losing weight(fat) AND gaining muscle. Now, if I was at 5%-10% or so body fat and was on a calorie deficit, it would be MUCH harder to gain muscle while losing fat/weight... in fact, it would be VERY hard, so you are right there.

On to the topic, she wants to stay the same weight while building muscle. So she can either go 5% below her TDEE or hover around it, while still getting enough protein/carbs/healthy fats/fiber in her diet and lose the fat and gain muscle. Cardio plays a good role (try HIIT or Zumba if running on the treadmill is boring) with weight training on achieving this goal too.

One tip to see if you are gaining muscle and not fat is to buy skinfold calipers, easy way to see if you are dropping body fat and staying the same weight (aka gaining muscle)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I really don't have to cite proof, as it is general knowledge, and as I am 20% under my TDEE while still eating close to my body weight in protein, I am losing weight(fat) AND gaining muscle. Now, if I was at 5%-10% or so body fat and was on a calorie deficit, it would be MUCH harder to gain muscle while losing fat/weight... in fact, it would be VERY hard, so you are right there.

On to the topic, she wants to stay the same weight while building muscle. So she can either go 5% below her TDEE or hover around it, while still getting enough protein/carbs/healthy fats/fiber in her diet and lose the fat and gain muscle. Cardio plays a good role (try HIIT or Zumba if running on the treadmill is boring) with weight training on achieving this goal too.

One tip to see if you are gaining muscle and not fat is to buy skinfold calipers, easy way to see if you are dropping body fat and staying the same weight (aka gaining muscle)

How are you measuring your stats that indicate muscle gain at a deficit?
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    I really don't have to cite proof, as it is general knowledge

too bad the general population isn't very intelligent.