Can out of shape large ppl do insanity?

Options
I saw an infomercial on insanity the other day for the first time. It really peeked my interest, but because i'm so out of shape and overweight, I'm wondering if it's safe for me to try? I know i should consult w/my dr first, but I'm sure he's never heard of it. I wanted to know if there was anyone out there that weighed over 200 lbs that has been successful doing insanity?

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    You all may laugh but I actually watched my first episode of the biggest loser last night! (I don't have cable, haven't for years...) Ummmm WOW! so in my mind if these people can run up mountains then us large curvy people can do insanity, or salsa, or even run up mountains! Try it and then tell us how it goes :)
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You all may laugh but I actually watched my first episode of the biggest loser last night! (I don't have cable, haven't for years...) Ummmm WOW! so in my mind if these people can run up mountains then us large curvy people can do insanity, or salsa, or even run up mountains! Try it and then tell us how it goes :)

great perspective! i just saw my first episode last season. i just don't have time to watch it, and my TiVo is already packed :(. But you are so right, these individuals are remarkable. I think we have to really watch and listen to our bodies. I mean, we don't have doctors on the sidelines in case we push too hard. I did see that someone had to be taken to the ER. So they still have health risks. I think anyone can do any type of exercise, but they have to listen to their bodies. Not the oh my legs hurt I don't think I can do this anymore types of stuff. But when your heart is pounding or your chest begins to hurt, I think that's a sign to back off a touch. eventually your heart and lungs will strengthen up and you'll be able to hit it harder!!!!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am not a professional, but.....I would say no, only because there is a ton of jumping around in it which could be really rough on your joints. You could probably modify all the moves, but I would sugest starting out with something a little more low impact, and once you drop some weight/get in a little better shape then try it.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Insanity is not a beginner's program. There is A LOT of jumping, pushups, running, etc., all done at a very fast pace. No modifications are shown. You should start out with something like Power90, Slim In 6, or even P90X, before attempting Insanity. I had done P90X four times before my first Insanity round, and it still kicked my bum. Feel free to send me a message if you have questions.
  • GenBB
    GenBB Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments!!

Sandy429 i will def look into Power90, Slim In 6, & P90X & will be in touch if i have ?s
  • gurlondrums
    Options
    My starting weight is over 200lbs and I started Insanity. But my situation may be different than yours. I was always good with being active except this past year. And I was working out for an hour a day for a month before I started Insanity. But I can do it. I have to take 2-3 more breaks than they get on the video. But I know fit people doing it sometimes have to take breaks doing it too. The people in the videos even have to take breaks! :laugh: But anyhoo, I'm just an all or nothing kind of person. I don't like yoga, I like activity and I don't like boring stuff. I used to play soccer and go biking long distances all the time in highschool. I just slipped up after having my son (I'm 23). But if you're not sure, if your joints can't handle the jumping (the jumps are craz-aaaaay), if your doctor doesn't think it's right for you, I'd go with Sandy. Beachbody has beginner programs that can help you get to the point where you can start Insanity. Good luck! =)