Can't seem to build up endurance?

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    When I started running I felt the same way. Although I don't think I even made if a mile (I was training for a physical test that required me to run 1.5 miles). I went to see my doctor, she told me running was hard. I told her it was really hard, I couldn't breathe, etc. She insisted there was nothing wrong with me. And there wasn't ( not saying this is the case for you, run out medical problems first ). But if you get the medical all clear...
    I always find the first 2 miles the hardest. It's been at least 9 years since I saw the doctor about that and I have run for most of them. Once I get past 2 miles, it's easier. I know this is pretty common. It's more about your body being warmed up.
    My problem was also what others have suggested - running too hard, even of that "hard" was really slow. I finally allowed myself to slow down, and I got better.
    The other part to remember is running is heavily influenced by our brain. This was my other problem, focusing on how bad i felt and wanted to stop. You think your tired - you will be. Think you can't finish - you won't. My first time running the 1.5 mile run I finished, without stopping, having never run farther than .5 miles but I was with a group that I didn't want to fail in front of, so I pushed through. When I was running on my own, it didn't matter if I stopped.
    I am not suggesting you bull through the workout. Just try to work on the mental aspect while running, what are you thinking while you are running. If its negative, you may want to look at ways to change that. I still remind myself in the first 2 miles that I know these are the hardest and it will get better.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Once I get past 2 miles, it's easier. I know this is pretty common. It's more about your body being warmed up.

That too. The first mile is the worst for me. Once I get past that, I could keep going and going and going. Now that I use the Runkeeper app, I see that my first mile is almost always my slowest. My third is usually my fastest.

I also have no qualms about tossing in a few walk intervals. It doesn't seem to affect my overall time, but it makes running a lot more enjoyable. Usually, I go about 15 minutes, walk maybe 30 seconds or so, then run another 10-15 minutes, walk a little, run another 10-15 minutes, etc.

Just about every day, I have to fight the mental battle to quit in the first mile. I always make a pact with myself to not make any decisions until I finish that first mile. By then, I'm a mile away from home, so the choice is turn around (and up with a two mile workout) or keep going. And I usually end up running 4-5 miles.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    you may want to ask your doctor this...could be a medical issue with your lungs or whatnot.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've got to disagree about interval training. While it is a good thing, it's not going to fix this particular problem without fixing a more underlying problem first.
    I have a hard time catching my breath. My lungs feel like they are going to collapse every time (a little dramatic but I'm sure you all know the feeling).

To me, that sounds like you are running slightly above your anaerobic threshold, which is causing you to be out of breath. People think as anaerobic/aerobic as being very black and white, with blazing hot 30 second workouts being the only kind of anaerobic intensity. It's not. You can be at a very low anaerobic intensity (just "over the line") for 5 to 8 minutes. Which sounds about right for a half mile.
    Frequently, I'll work out with a friend, and when we get on the ellipticals, I find that his BPM is always around 145 or so, while I'm in the 170 range, which I know is pushing it for my size.

I usually tell the people that I coach not to compare heart rates, but in this case it could be illuminating. You might already be running at the intensity that you would be aiming for during the "hard" part of interval training.

Since you are having problems in the 170's, have you ever tried slowing down so that your heart rate is in the 140 to 150 range? Or even further, into the 130 to 140 range?

I'm guessing that the reason you can't build endurance is that you're going too hard, which would builds speed, not endurance, but since you cannot go for very long, it's not really enough of a training load to build either one.

This. Slow down, you'll never improve your aerobic fitness by maintaining anaerobic intensity levels. While running at a training pace you should be able to speak in complete sentences, and hold a conversation. If you don't have a running buddy to talk to, try reciting some poetry or singing along to your music for a bit. There's a place for the kind of runs you're doing in an advanced runner's training plan,but for a beginner you should almost never be running so fast that you can't keep your breath.
  • Valley83
    Valley83 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I really struggled, after a few minutes my lungs were on fire. I was doing the C25K and I just couldn't seem to run more that a mile. What helped me was to stop running for a little while and I did Ripped in 30 for a month and a half. When I came back to running I was able to run 3 miles.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem with shortness of breath during exercise (shortness of breath at times when I know by experience that I should not be having difficulties). I'm in "athlete" condition, and I've been a running for about 15 yrs., so it really freaks me out when I am practically wheezing trying to get air in and i feel like a can't get enough. I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma in jr. high, but I never used an inhaler, and I kept running, and the breathing problem went away.

My Dr. didn't seem to concerned but I came to him with laundry list, so maybe he figured I'm just a hypochondriac. I came across iron deficiency as a cause, and I knew my diet was super low iron, so I've set my macros to show my iron, and added more iron rich foods and a supplement. I have yet to see if the problem starts coming back.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Rest, your body needs rest to grow.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Oh, btw, if you are working out with a male friend, don't even compare the numbers. There's a reason that men and women compete separately in sports, and it's not just strength. Also, you don't necessarily know how fit your friend is and what kind of cardio he does. Gym cardio really is not the best.
  • Branok
    Branok Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the different input everyone.
    And to address a previous question, it usually takes me about 25:30 to run two miles.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    don't be afraid to run slower until you build up to something faster. I ran really slow even when I was in shape. It took some time ... 2 some years to break 10 minute mile for 5k. Then just this fall I ran 10 minute mile for a half marathon and I think that is a huge improvement just for last year (11:30 minute mile for the same race).