For those who have to work Thanksgiving

Options
AllTehBeers
AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
I've done it, I've also worked Christmas and will have to this year. I know how much it sucks, especially in retail so this year I'm going to stay at my house and let my family know how much I'm thankful for them. Some people just don't realize how nice having time off for holidays can be.

My respects go to police, fire and health care workers this season.

So how many of you have to work this holiday? Did you choose to work or was your hand forced?

Replies

• wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I work at a daycare so no, I get all my holidays off. I am very blessed to have that privelage:)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand*. Not excited about it, the least bit.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Well up until 5 years ago I have worked in the hospitality industry (hotels) for the vast majority of my life and they are open 365 days a year 24 hours a day. Not only did I typically have to work every holiday but generally had to pull double shifts. Having to work on a holiday is a bit depressing, but it beats the heck out of being unemployed. Really, do you have to wait for a Holiday to tell your Family and Friends that you love them? or to spend time with them? Most jobs give you a day or two off every single week, take one of those days and spend it celebrating your family and friends and when that holiday comes around it won't seem nearly as important; why do once a year what you can do once a week?

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Well up until 5 years ago I have worked in the hospitality industry (hotels) for the vast majority of my life and they are open 365 days a year 24 hours a day. Not only did I typically have to work every holiday but generally had to pull double shifts. Having to work on a holiday is a bit depressing, but it beats the heck out of being unemployed. Really, do you have to wait for a Holiday to tell your Family and Friends that you love them? or to spend time with them? Most jobs give you a day or two off every single week, take one of those days and spend it celebrating your family and friends and when that holiday comes around it won't seem nearly as important; why do once a year what you can do once a week?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ah very much a realist. While I understand where you're coming from, I think that the memories made of an entire extended family all gathering at my Grandmothers house a few times a year are the greatest. While she did have a big dinner every Sunday, only some of the family could attend some of the time. This I think is the biggest difference between every week and big holidays.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    at first I was scheduled off on Thanksgiving .. but then they changed it ..
    now I am working 2:30pm - 11:30 pm Thursday then go back Friday 5am - 2pm
    I am a cashier at walmart .. so I have no choice
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My husband is a firefighter and is scheduled to work Thanksgiving. It honestly doesn't bother me and he likes the guys he works with and will make some sweet holiday pay so it's no biggie in our house. I will still go to my family's house for dinner and will see him when he gets home on Friday (they work a 24 hour shift).
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Most people have to work holidays at some job in their life, some more than others. That's what retail and hospitality entail. Consider it part of a growing up process and then get some skills to get out of the lowest paying jobs and into holidays off.

In that, I do feel that our society has gone too far with how much retail is open. Sunday hours or less, or not open at all on holidays was great - it made us value time at home, with family, finding something to do for fun instead of spending money.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have been very blessed to have a boss who gives me every major and variable holiday off w/Pay because I am awesome and the stock market is closed on most holidays anyway.

Seriously I do empathize with those who have to work on hloidays it can be depressing. I used to work in retail 10 years ago and hated every moment I had to work on thanksgiving and Christmas eve and dealing with rude *kitten* peole who have a stick up their *kitten* because they can't find what they want or we were out of stock.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    at first I was scheduled off on Thanksgiving .. but then they changed it ..
    now I am working 2:30pm - 11:30 pm Thursday then go back Friday 5am - 2pm
    I am a cashier at walmart .. so I have no choice

All respects to you. I could NEVER do that job.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am working 12 hours on Thanksgiving, 12 on Christmas Eve, and 12 on New Years Day.

We don't get a choice. People are sick throughout the holidays, and they need nurses to care for them. It sucks, but this is my eighth year of working a part of every holiday. It stinks, but I try to make the best of it with my work family. We're all stuck there together, after all!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I have been very blessed to have a boss who gives me every major and variable holiday off w/Pay because I am awesome and the stock market is closed on most holidays anyway.

Seriously I do empathize with those who have to work on hloidays it can be depressing. I used to work in retail 10 years ago and hated every moment I had to work on thanksgiving and Christmas eve and dealing with rude *kitten* peole who have a stick up their *kitten* because they can't find what they want or we were out of stock.

This all day! I haven't see a time of year where people are more rude then around the holidays.
  • MandaJean83
    Options
    Consider it part of a growing up process and then get some skills to get out of the lowest paying jobs and into holidays off.

Not all of us are uneducated/unskilled people...we work in a field that needs our skills to provide crucial services to the public.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I am working 12 hours on Thanksgiving, 12 on Christmas Eve, and 12 on New Years Day.

We don't get a choice. People are sick throughout the holidays, and they need nurses to care for them. It sucks, but this is my eighth year of working a part of every holiday. It stinks, but I try to make the best of it with my work family. We're all stuck there together, after all!

All respect to you and caring for others all year round! I hope you can enjoy what time you do get to spend with your family.
  • jjj1988
    jjj1988 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Health care worker here. Working Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's....hand was mostly forced as my co-workers are taking the time off to spend time with their families, and since I have no children, I'm the lucky one who gets to work (not to say I don't have family, cause I do, and they aren't happy that I'm working, but such is life!) Hopefully when I have children one day some kind soul will do the same for me.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to be off, but then they got me! I work in home care and will be doing four 1 hour shifts. lol... not too bad.
    Happy Turkey Day!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Consider it part of a growing up process and then get some skills to get out of the lowest paying jobs and into holidays off.

Not all of us are uneducated/unskilled people...we work in a field that needs our skills to provide crucial services to the public.

I think she equated low paying, first tier jobs with working the holidays. :flowerforyou:

Maybe not though
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Health care worker here. Working Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's....hand was mostly forced as my co-workers are taking the time off to spend time with their families, and since I have no children, I'm the lucky one who gets to work (not to say I don't have family, cause I do, and they aren't happy that I'm working, but such is life!) Hopefully when I have children one day some kind soul will do the same for me.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

:flowerforyou:

Hopefully a "pay it forward" type situation because I bet (would hope!) those others appreciate that you're doing the same for them.
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I think she equated low paying, first tier jobs with working the holidays. :flowerforyou:

Maybe not though

I was referring to the people who work at retail/hospitality jobs that have been on the news complaining about having to work holidays, not crucial services. There are always jobs that have to be done regardless of holidays, and in that case, they should definitely be paid more for having to miss holidays with family.

I worked so many holidays as a teen and young adult, and I absolutely hated it, but that's what happens when you work retail in a society that has retail open on holidays.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My husband is a Police Officer and works tomorrow, so I will arrange our meal so he can eat with us after his shift (he is lucky this year and works 6am-6pm so it works). Usually we are not able to travel for the holidays due to his schedule so we stay home and invite others who are stuck working and can't travel home either over to our house for meals. I've also cooked up extra and sent plates up to the police department for the people on my husband's shift(dispatchers too!). Sometimes people will donate and/or cook a meal and bring it to the department for the people working. It's no fun working, but they are needed and depended upon.
  • MandaJean83
    Options

Maybe not though

I was referring to the people who work at retail/hospitality jobs that have been on the news complaining about having to work holidays, not crucial services. There are always jobs that have to be done regardless of holidays, and in that case, they should definitely be paid more for having to miss holidays with family.

I worked so many holidays as a teen and young adult, and I absolutely hated it, but that's what happens when you work retail in a society that has retail open on holidays.

I ABSOLUTELY agree. Those poor retail workers should be better compensated for missing fun times with their family. It's a crime to pay them their base right, IMHO.