How do you motivate yourself to exercise?

Options

Replies

• grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I DVR my favorite hour-long television shows and do my exercising early in the morning. A one-hour show last about 42 minutes if you skip the commercials. Exercising first thing in the morning allows me to put my extra calories into MFP and know how much I can eat during the day. I can't say I really enjoy walking on a treadmill or elipical machine, but I WILL say I have done it long enough now that I miss it when I take a day off. You HAVE to do it. I have grand babies I want to see grow up and get married!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I used to just say hey fatty move your *kitten*. Now, I like it so it's more about beating my last run time than anything. Good luck.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Imagine that I will gain back the 71 lbs I have lost. If the possibility is terrifying enough, then I exercise. I also like to pretend that I am Dana Scully on the treadmill and I am being chased by a serial killer, inbred person, fluke worm monster, aliens or a crossdressing Fox Mulder. It helps me put the burn on.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too. It never seems to get easier for me. I usually don't have pain, I just hate it! My motivation? My age. I know that if I don't MOVE, I will get really fat and feel like crap. And then I'll ache all over, and then I won't get off the couch, and pretty soon, I won't even leave the house! So I just do it! Sucks, I know, but I tell myself it's better than the alternative!
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise, too, but I discovered Jillian Michaels workouts which are 30 minutes! I can get through anything if it's just 30 minutes. Now, I actually look forward to my workouts, and my body craves the exercise! If you start with a short workout, eventually you'll get in the routine.

Also, as many have said, find something you like and that doesn't bore you. Circuit training keeps me from getting bored, and I'm not the kind of person who can tolerate a treadmill for half an hour.

I usually work out in the evenings, and a delicious dinner is my "reward" for working out. After dinner, I get a lovely long shower with my favourite body lotion before bed. That's usually enough of an incentive to get my bum in gear!

Good luck!
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Honestly?

Once I decided to make the change in my life, among other things, I started surfing the Internet

Google search phrases like "hot gym bodies" "hot transformation pictures", etc. you can throw some gender specific words in there too. I'm a guy and can appreciate another guy that is fit and strong, but I'd still rather see gals.

Also google " strong is the new skinny" and click the images link

Finally, there are thousands os transformation videos on YouTube.

I don't do it as much now, but ten weeks in and I still do it
  • Since you need motivation, stick to group exercise classes so the instructor can get you through the hour. But, you have to find one that you really like! :) Good luck, it's terrible not to like exercise, to me it's like skipping a meal, but I love it so I guess that doesn't count! :)
  • harleigh67
    Options
    You trick your self....Get up early, an get dressed then exercise before your brain & body know whats happening!!!:laugh:
  • FairyTerri
    Options
    I walk with Leslie Sansone DVD's and then I get on my eliptical, treadmill, rowing machine, weights or other various DVD's.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    As said before- you won't do it continuously until you find something you enjoy. And you may not find it right away, that is why its good to try new things. You'll benefit from them anyway, whether you go again or not.

I became a fitness instructor so that I would hold myself accountable for my fitness. Now, this was a couple years ago, the wokouts aren't necessarily mine- they belong to the class, but I am working out just as hard as them, if not hard most of the time.
    I also got tired of paying for the gym - it was expensive and I am on a budget- but being an employee got me a free membership to the best gym in town. So in those terms, I have no choice, at least 5 days a week I have to go teach.
    The other 2 that I "want" to add in strength training? A little harder. Sometimes though I meet friends at the gym to lift with- buddying up with someone so you can push each other is a great way to stay on track :)
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Tough love time.

I have SIJD Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction(hip separates from my tailbone), sciatica and Psoriatic arthritis (almost equivalent to Rheumatoid) but affects my toes, ankles, feet, knees, legs, hips and spine. It also has a chance to affect my upper body and hands as well. but its like a 10% chance or something like that.

I know pain like you do. It sucks having back problems and being on meds and feeling like you are limited. Saying that, up until 2 years ago I couldn't walk in a store for more than an hour without pain and a bunch of meds in me. I barely ever moved, I thought...this is how Im going to be for the rest of my life so might as well accept the pain. Well, I am here to tell you, its not like that anymore. My hip used to go out of place 3-5 times a day and pinch my sciatic nerve. Now that I have exercised and built up my muscles, it does it maybe once every 6 months. I can run now!!!, I exercise 6 days a week 2-3 hours a day and Im not talking about easy stuff either. You CAN reverse injuries and you CAN make the pain go away but you need to want it. You can have your life back and have a lot less pain. I am living proof! Its sooo worth it! I can think of any better motivation than that.

Exercise isn't fun for most people. Your not being singled out as the only one who struggles. Its going to be hard but if you want it, you'll do it. What helped me is Routine, Routine, Routine. Do it everyday at the same time. If it becomes part of your life, you stop thinking of it as a "chore". Also, once your body gets used to exercising, you will feel bad if you don't exercise instead of when you do. Trust me on this one.

I'm not going to lie to you, its going to suck at first. It sucked at first for all of us. The trick is to keep going no matter how unmotivated you get. Drag your butt in there and don't let yourself have any excuses. Would you rather feel bad all day about what you didn't do or just get that 1-2 hour workout done and be proud of yourself? I know when I used to give myself excuses and not go work out I would feel depressed then that would trigger a binge. Its a horrible cycle.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    Not being fat is pretty much the only motivation I need. When I don't feel like going to the gym for whatever reason I think about the size 16 jeans I was rockn this time a year ago and that pretty much does it for me.

Ditto
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've only been on here a few months, and I certainly didn't exercise much for a couple of years before I joined. I walk, pedal my exercise bike, and have just started couch to 5K, I'm getting more into this, however, the exercise I enjoy the most is dancing along with my Wii, I've had comments that it's not real exercise but if folk could feel my sweaty bits after an hour I'm sure they would believe me :laugh:

I guess you just have to experiment and find something you enjoy so much it stops feeling like exercise, good luck! :flowerforyou:
    I totally agree with you. Dancing with the WII is exercise. Sweat and all:) Am up to 2000 sweat points a day!!!
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    There are many good pointers on here - for me photos work best. I'm motivated to improve my body shape (I'm developing definition each month) and by looking at my monthly photos keeps me focused. I see improvements and know which muscle group to concentrate on next.

You're not alone not liking exercise / gym but I prefer to see my body change for the better rather than anything else. I hate the treadmill and rowing machine with a vengeance but do a little on each visit. My first attempt on the cross trainer lasted 5 mins as I hated it.

However about a month ago I did 60 mins and although my legs were all other place, I knew I preferred to see definition so kept going. To be totally honest I hate gym equipment BUT I hate being out of shape even more. So going to the gym wins every time.

One day I stumbled across Squash and loved it. If you keep searching / trying new things you'll find your activity and btw it doesn't have to be in the gym. An old friend swears that his rock climbing keeps him trim, the only rock you'll find me with is when I go to the seaside. The moral of the story is each to their own, so go find yours, begin seeing the change and you'll motivate yourself big time.

HTH
  • Jluvs3clarks
    Options
    For me, I had to build a specific time slot into my day and stick with it! I have tried different times of the day and somehow I have found fault with each one, except for one! I found excuses and there were times where I would just make excuses or talk myself out of going! So, when I finally made building a healthy lifestyle, I made up my mind I need to stick with working out.. So now, I work out (the goal is 5 days a week) at 5 AM . I give myself two days where I will allow myself to talk myself into staying in bed, and working out later, or not at all. The reason why I picked that time is because it does not conflict with anything else in my life! No kids, no hubby, no school, nothing that will allow me to make the excuse not to go. This schedule really gives me more energy during the day, and life seems to be a lot less stressful.

Good luck!
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too, but I love the feeling of accomplishment of going and kicking some butt on a regular basis.

I have arthritis in my knees and lower back pain, but am actually becoming able to use the elliptical and arc trainer (stepper) for longer periods most days. I intersperse the cardio on the different machines with some strength training. I am noticing an improvement in what I can carry, less pain on a regular basis as I build up the muscles in my legs and around my lower back, and improved stamina when I walk longer distances. Try machines out. You don't have to sit on one machine for an hour either. Switch it up (5 minutes on one, 7 minutes on another, 4 minutes on another). Try different things, if one doesn't work for you or causes pain move to another machine. There is no harm in trying if you are sensible about it. I stay away from the ab machines since they are hard on my lower back and for your shoulders I would use the lowest settings on the arm machines until you build up the muscles there and use those sparingly. If your gym has personal training available, that would be good as well.

I saw this quote somewhere: "It doesn't get easier, you just get better."
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    My motivations:

Initially - the opposite gender (mostly it was my desire to make those who treated me bad or passed on me wish they hadn't)

After a few initial weeks of that - it became a habit that I felt bad if I missed much on.

Now - my dad has been at the hospital for almost two months due to probably the most complicated recovery ever from coronary bypass surgery. This bypass was necessitated by his obesity and general poor health. Not something I want to deal with ever.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have rotator cuff issues and degenerated vertebrae but I do not let it stop me. I get up at 4 - 4.30am to exercise as thats the only time I can fit it in. How do I motivate myself... I just do it. No excuses. You need to make it part of your life. I don't like cleaning my house but I do it, so even if you don't like exercise its just something that needs to be done, its not optional.
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I started back on MFP I couldn't walk for falling and then I was giving medicine that interfered with a pass stomach issue. I stayed in bed a lot. Had to have help to do 95% of everything. In other words I was to weak to do exercise, but I knew I had to get the weight off. In 2005 I had to do a program called Senior Sneakers. My back gave out then and the doctor recommend me to join this program and water aerobic. In the Senior Sneakers they used chairs a lot to exercise. I forgot all about it til one day I was watching a PBS station and the lady was doing exercise for people in a wheel chair. I started doing that and little by little(along with therapy) I was exercising. I am walking on treadmill 30 minutes and 20 minutes a day and I just started riding a stationary bike 15 minutes. You have to take baby steps. Let the commercials be your timer. When a commercial come on, sit in a straight chair and do leg lifts, bend over from the waist, and so on. Chose something to fit your situation and build your time up. Condition your mind and make a game out of it. Regular house work can be exercise. When getting something out of bottom cabinet hold onto counter top and squat about 5 times. One of my therapy is wall push ups. Chose a room and every time you go in that room do 5. Do lounges to walk to answer the door. Do marching in place while talking on the phone, and so on. Get a friend to help you. Good luck and you will do it.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I set up a routine. Before I go to bed I have my things all set up for me on my desk. I have a 5 hr energy shot, Gatorade energy chews, water, HRM, clothes, phone with "I can't wake up!" app set, and a granola bar. When I wake up in the morning, I allow myself 1/2 an hr - an hr's time to get up and get ready to workout. I get up and turn my alarm app off, eat my granola bar, drink water, take energy shots and then get dressed. Then I have about 1/2 an hour or more to let my body wake up and the granola bar to digest. My boyfriend has been going with me as well and our dog so that helps too. I like having our dog come because I'll feel guilty if he doesn't get to go outside because he needs his exercise. My routine helps because its like "I've already done all these things, I just have to go workout now."