can you help me with ideas on cardio with a torn tendon?

Options
Hi friends,
Well I re-injured my dang foot. I had torn the peroneal tendon during training for the marathon but I ran it and felt great even a month afterward. But here lately, the foot pain is constant and Dr has me on no weight bearing exercises. I was doing the elliptical in place of the running and he said that was bad too. So I'm now riding the stationary bike and doing the rowing machine. My foot throbs and burns and he may end up having to put me in a short cast (yikes!) which I would really hate because that would be very difficult, but it's time to quit being stubborn and let myself heal. I just want to get back to running pain free as soon as possible. If anyone has any good ideas for some alternative stuff for me to do i would greatly appreciate it.

I do swim from time to time with my aquajogger belt. And I weight train 3 days a week but have eliminated the leg press due to the foot. So, I've pretty much just been doing the bike and rowing machine. (had to give up the stairclimber-that was really hurting my tendon worse. i know- i'm stubborn) I just don't want the weight to creep back on.

I'm going to keep telling myself and hoping that if I keep my diet under control that I can keep the weight under control. I know that's why I continued to push even after he told me to rest after I ran the marathon. :grumble:

Replies

• ErikaSudz
    Options
    I would personally eliminate the other cardio exercises and stick with the swimming. Swimming will take the pressure of the tendon and is a much more effective cardio workout than the others anyway.

Erika
  • dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Boxing is awesome cardio. Either with a punching bag, or use light weights, squat position, and punch across across your chest. I definitely burn more calories with the punching bag, or sparring, than I do with any other cardio.
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Boxing is awesome cardio. Either with a punching bag, or use light weights, squat position, and punch across across your chest. I definitely burn more calories with the punching bag, or sparring, than I do with any other cardio.

I second the above suggestion. Jillian suggests this in the 30 Day Shred for people with lower body injuries and it will definitely burn a lot of calories.
  • Ashia1317
    Options

I second the above suggestion. Jillian suggests this in the 30 Day Shred for people with lower body injuries and it will definitely burn a lot of calories.

I "third" that. Boxing has a lot of good points and it's much harder than it looks. I was surprised at how much my heart rate goes up just from pumping my arms! And it makes you sweat!

Good luck!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor and get a referral to a sports' injury MD and possibly some physical therapy who can correctly recommend how to reach your goals.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips, I didn't think about boxing, that would be awesome!!!
    I am going to a sports medicine podiatrist, and he believes that resting it by not doing weight bearing activities and taking the celebrex will help with the inflammation. However, if it doesn't get better soon, he recommends coming back in for the cast, which I will do. I bet I could still box with that thing on, great idea.

I guess I was stupid by thinking the elliptical would be ok but he said it was really not good at all for foot injuries. apparently these tendons take a long time to heal. Ice makes it feel better, I just should've rested right after NYC and I didn't so it's time to pay the price :(

Keep me posted if ya'll think of anything else.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Tendons take a longer time to heal than ligaments because they connect bone to bone and there is little blood supply to facilitate healing...I can really understand how you would not want to gain all your weight back, you've done a good job and congrats on the marathon...very exciting
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I am every bit as stubborn..... I have an exercise bike that has moving handles that work in conjunction with the pedals..... if you rode one of those "one-legged", propped your other leg out on a chair (it would be out of the way of the handles and the pedals, and you could still rest it comfortably), you'd be working your one leg and arms, still get great cardio, and be resting your leg at the same time. The handles would help compensate for the single-pedal-use (I tried it, takes a minute to get the coordination, but it works!). Just a thought..... have lots of other great ideas up there, too! ^ ^ ^ Keep us posted, and good luck!!!
    :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • tracyquilts
    Options
    Don't give up the rowing machine. You can get an UNBELIEVABLE workout, if you do it correctly. Watch some online tutorials on you-tube or rowing sites.....try Concept2 (the machine producer's site).

One of our workouts is a steady-state cardio with a one minute fast interval ever time you hit another 1000 meter mark. Kind of like doing fartleks.....my husband is a runner.

I have been training with the local running club for about 7 months, and your quads are one of the largest muscle groups you can work out.

Also, ice that foot two or three times a day for ten minutes. The blood rushes back in there when you remove the ice (to warm it up), and I think that is a big part of the healing process.

Good luck!!