Is weightloss really slower when you have less to lose?

Options
2»

Replies

• jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think saying it is "slower" is misleading. Yes, someone who has a lot of weight to lose can lose a pound or 2 a week, but think of how long it takes to get down to their goal weight. If you have 10 pounds to lose you might lose a pound on some weeks, other times you will only lose a pound in one month, but overall because the amount you want to lose is small it does not take that long. If you have 10 pounds to lose, you are fit after the first 5 pounds (that happens a bit more quickly), but the last five pounds is slower because it's not even necessary. At that point you are fine tuning your fitness, reducing body fat %, losing small amounts of fat and retaining your muscle. Go slow, it's worth it!

I only lost a total of 9 pounds and I did that eating 1800 calories (I'm 5'2", 100 pounds).

That is a really good point, I may lose more a week than people who are closer to their goals, but I know it will be at least 2 years before I'm at a weight I'm happy with and toned.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think saying it is "slower" is misleading. Yes, someone who has a lot of weight to lose can lose a pound or 2 a week, but think of how long it takes to get down to their goal weight. If you have 10 pounds to lose you might lose a pound on some weeks, other times you will only lose a pound in one month, but overall because the amount you want to lose is small it does not take that long. If you have 10 pounds to lose, you are fit after the first 5 pounds (that happens a bit more quickly), but the last five pounds is slower because it's not even necessary. At that point you are fine tuning your fitness, reducing body fat %, losing small amounts of fat and retaining your muscle. Go slow, it's worth it!

I only lost a total of 9 pounds and I did that eating 1800 calories (I'm 5'2", 100 pounds).

That is a really good point, I may lose more a week than people who are closer to their goals, but I know it will be at least 2 years before I'm at a weight I'm happy with and toned.

Keep up the great work. You've lost a lot already. It will be worth it!