My whole body looks gaunt exept my pregnant looking belly

Options
I understand the concept that you can't spot lose, and when you lose weight you will lose it all over. I understand the concept of eating a calorie deficit, eating the right foods, and exercise. What I don't understand is how I can be 5'6", 118 lbs and look like I am 4-5 months pregnant!!!!!

If I were a spider I would be a daddy long legs.....a short, round torso with long gangly arms and legs. I hate it! Plus my face looks gaunt.

I have tried adding ab workouts to my routine, which I think are strengthening my core, but doing nothing to reduce the inches around my middle. I work out on my treadmill 4-5 times a week, and over the course of a few months have increased my workout time and intensity from what my treadmill says is 350 calories to 650 calories per workout. I am trying to do HIIT workouts by doing 8-9 intervals of push my self to the absolute limit 1 minute segmants and then medium intensity for 1-1.5 minutes in a 40 minute workout. (I can't run due to a previous serious knee injury I so I do my workouts at a 10% incline and increase the speed from 5 to 6.5) I have drastically reduced or cut out refined foods, white carbs, alcohol, and sugar. I am taking omega 3 fish oil, a fiber supplement, and a probiotic daily.

WHAT GIVES?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way but it may be a self image issue but I think you look rather thin as it is. And since you are probably under weight based on your height it may require you to gain some muscle in order to eliminate that bump as shown by the two threads below. Have you ever considered doing a slow bulk to gain around 10 lbs of muscle and then going through a cut phase to eliminate the fat gain that comes along with the bulking phase?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yeah you need to start lifting.
  • jupityjupe
    jupityjupe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hello to everybody who says or is going to say I look thin.....YES! I do look thin in that picture because it is only showing me from the chest up! As I said in my original post, the fat is ONLY in my belly. I am telling you I have a fat belly! Gobs of it, as you can see if you look at my measurements (since telling you won't make you believe me lol) It is not a body image issue. I have to be careful what I wear and walk around sucking in my belly all the time because I otherwise (and even when I do) it sticks out and looks pregnant. :sad:

For the poster who says I need to do lifting, what kind of lifting do you suggest? I don't have a gym membership or anything but I could get some weights at home, but not sure what to get or how do do it.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

P.S. I really don't care how much I weigh, I just want to lose that fat! (and be toned) :smile: :smile:
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I am just finishing off the "New rules of lifting for women" program, which is a good beginners program. I have also heard good things about "Starting strength" and "Stronglifts 5x5". Going to a gym would be ideal, however I did it from home. I had to make some substitutions for a few exercises due to lack of equiipment, but i was mostly able to do the program as is.
    I started off with a spinlock standard bar and spinlock dumbbells, some weight plates, a wooden box and a swiss ball. By the time you get a few months in you will also need a pull up bar.
    Some other things that would come in handy but are not entirely neccesary for the program would be an extra spinlock dumbbell set (so you don't have to switch around weights so much), a weight bench, and some kind of door mounted resistance bands kit.
    I have just got an olympic weight set to, although that was not strictly neccesary yet.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Don't know how old you are, but some women are just genetically predisposed to carry weight around their middles as they get older. My mom had a pretty huge tummy for a small lady. Maybe you need to talk to your doctor about it.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Lifting. HEAVY lifting.
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Do you have any health issues? Have you spoken to a doctor about it to make sure it's just fat? There could be some other underlying issue. Definitely speak with your doctor if you're that concerned, especially if the area is firm.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    START LIFTING Weights
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Yeup, start lifting and things should be fine. When lifting, you'll need to eat at maintenance or a slight surplus. You will also need to ensure you are getting plenty of protein too!

Key is to be lifting heavy, not lifting the 3 pound weights. But anything would be better than nothing I suppose. You'll definitely want to try and incorporate as many compound exercises (bench press, squats, etc.) into your routine as you can. Some people here already suggested good beginning programs.

Lifting will increase your muscle size throughout your body, this will make you look toned and will also minimize the look of the belly. Additionally, the improved strength will naturally pull in the stomach area, making it appear smaller. It should also ultimately result in some of the fatty tissue around that area to be utilized.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This might sound scary, but have you thought about asking your doctor to check to be sure there is nothing else wrong? Have you always held weight this way your whole life? I just think about those weird "huge tumour" stories where people have like a 15lb benign tumour and couldn't figure out why they were so big in one area and that was why.

Ok, now that I've scared you ****less, I agree if it is just fat then do some lifting!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Drop the cardio and start lifting weights.
  • frimersmoa
    Options
    Have you ever been pregnant? Sometimes after pregnancy you can get what's called diastasis. It's basically a separation of the stomach muscles and no matter how hard you try, the only thing that can repair that is surgery. Just a thought ...
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that I'm just starting this journey and currently fall into the morbidly obese category. So I'm not one to give advice, but I will say this. I'm pre-diabetic (insulin resistant) and carry a HUGE portion of my weight in the middle. Docs said that is an indicator of insulin resistance. The body can't utilize insulin well, so it converts blood sugars to fat and it tends to accumulate in the gut first. Even when I was 70 lbs lighter, I still looked pregnant.

It would be a good thing to speak with your physician about it. He can run blood work and evaluate your situation. If you are insulin resistant, you might benefit from taking a drug called Metformin with meals, along with dietary changes to avoid high glycemic foods.

I also think being too thin in the extremities can highlight the problem area. Strength training would also help. Google "insulin resistance" and speak with your doc if you haven't had a blood panel done.
  • jupityjupe
    jupityjupe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies....I guess I need to figure out how to start lifting...

And for those concerned for my health, no it is not a tumor or anything...it really gross, jiglly fat. :embarassed: My only health issue is hypothyroid, but for that I take medication.

I am inspired by the lifting idea though as I do want to get firmer, and I enjoyed the before and after pics in the link from the earlier poster.

Just have to figure out how to work it into my crazy single mom, work full time life....anybody know a good gym in the norcal area that takes 10 and 11 yr old adhd boys into their childcare? lol
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Your stomach can swell if you're not eating enough. Sort of like how you see the starving kids in Africa with big bellies? I also agree it may just be in your head. 118 is pretty low for 5'6" (I'm 5'4" and that's the lowest recommended weight for me). At 118 I can't see how you have "gobs and gobs of fat" anywhere on your body. You also have to remember we need a certain amount of body fat to live, so you will always have some. Not to mention a lot of time what people are grabbing off their body isn't fat, it's skin. We all have loose skin in order to move, in the same way clothing has looser section to allow a full range of motion.

If your nutrition is in order and everything else is good, I agree with others- life heavy things. And make sure you are eating plenty. You won't build muscle on a 1200 calories diet, trust me.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Have you tried removing gluten from you diet?
    You may have a gluten sensitivity causing inflammation and/or bloating but not celiac disease.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    No offense, but you are 52 yrs old right? Have you seen your OBGYN lately? I think I would go see if there are any fibroids or other health issues poofing out your tummy. Have you talked to your PCP? I would seriously look into a nutritionist after exploring medical answers.
    Thanks and chin up!!!
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Thanks for the replies....I guess I need to figure out how to start lifting...

And for those concerned for my health, no it is not a tumor or anything...it really gross, jiglly fat. :embarassed: My only health issue is hypothyroid, but for that I take medication.

I am inspired by the lifting idea though as I do want to get firmer, and I enjoyed the before and after pics in the link from the earlier poster.

Just have to figure out how to work it into my crazy single mom, work full time life....anybody know a good gym in the norcal area that takes 10 and 11 yr old adhd boys into their childcare? lol
    LOL I know what you mean, I don't work, but I have 2 kids, my 2 year old often harrases me my whole workout , but I just fit it in when I can. If you have noone to watch them while you go to the gym I think working out at night at home would be the best option. I find it a little harder to get motivated at night but once you get stuck in its all good.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Your stomach can swell if you're not eating enough. Sort of like how you see the starving kids in Africa with big bellies? I also agree it may just be in your head. 118 is pretty low for 5'6" (I'm 5'4" and that's the lowest recommended weight for me). At 118 I can't see how you have "gobs and gobs of fat" anywhere on your body. You also have to remember we need a certain amount of body fat to live, so you will always have some. Not to mention a lot of time what people are grabbing off their body isn't fat, it's skin. We all have loose skin in order to move, in the same way clothing has looser section to allow a full range of motion.

If your nutrition is in order and everything else is good, I agree with others- life heavy things. And make sure you are eating plenty. You won't build muscle on a 1200 calories diet, trust me.

This !

You are underweight for your height... start eating at your TDEE and lifting, your whole body will change and you will love it and your new curves !
  • cervelosunny
    Options
    I don't think you can target a specific area to loose fat, but I can understand your dilemma. I would suggest you speak to a personal trainer just for some advice. :-)