To make this work, I want to eat ALL of my calories right???

Options
if I told the system that I wanted to lose 2lbs/wk and it told me 1200 is my daily calories, I want to make sure I use all those plus the ones I earn from exercise right?? cuz I'm already below my BMR... hope I don't sound daft =)

Replies

• mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I only eat about 50% of my exercise calories back, but that is a personal preference. I have seen people on here who consistently eat back all their exercise calories and still lose. The 1200 calories is the lowest that MFP will put you regardless. It is recommended not to try to lose more than a pound a week, because when it is lost quickly, I have heard it is harder to keep it off. But that has to be a personal decision. As far as being below your BMR, the actual basis of losing weight is really quite simple. Cutting 3500 calories a week <500 a day> should result in a one pound a week loss. But that can be altered by quite a number of things, such as sodium intake. I am just beginning to get a grasp on this weight loss business and I hope this helps a little. You have come to the right place to learn and lose weight. Good luck.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    With less than 50 pounds to lose, you would be better off (and would have more daily calories) if you went with the more reasonable goal of 1 pound per week (or at most 1.5 pounds per week).
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

And yes, you want to eat back the calories you burn from exercise - at least 1/2 to 2/3rds, if not all.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes. However, I would be a little wary of trying for 2lbs a week at this point. Shoot for 1.5, tops. Maybe even 1. You'll get more calories which will help with sustainability.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would definitely put myself at 1 or 1.5 pounds a week loss. I eat back about half my exercise calories only b/c I use what MFP gives as estimates for burns and I think they are a bit high. If I had a more accurate HRM, I would probably eat more of them. The calorie limit that MFP gives you already has the deficit built in to lose the number of pounds a week that you give it, so the exercise is in addition to that. Your body needs fuel...feed it.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone... I am going to adjust to 1.5 and get eating!!! :drinker:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone... I am going to adjust to 1.5 and get eating!!! :drinker:

Smart move. One great side effect to slower loss is that you're skin will recover better and it's not gonna be as saggy. Your skin's elasticity will thank you!