Thanksgiving Tips & Thankful

Options
Any good tips to avoid overeating for Thanksgiving?

Also -- I'm Thankful for the MFP community and ap. Has helped me lose 14 lbs. Only 20 more to go!

Replies

• kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My plan is as follows:
    1. Start my day with a good long workout to "buy" an extra 500 calories or so.
    2. Save my calories for the "real" meal. Keep "tasting" to a minimum.
    3. NOT Log what I plan to eat while everything is cooking to keep it in perspective!
    4. Eat only those foods I really enjoy and look forward to each year and to . I do not have to taste some of everything.
    5. Keep my portions reasonably small.
    6. Eat only one plate of food knowing there will be plenty of leftovers for later if I get hungry.
    7. Clean up and put away the food immediately after eating.
    8. NOT Adjust my log as needed to incorporate what I really ate!
    9. Let my meal settle for a couple of hours before eating desserts. So many good ones that this may BE dinner!. :happy:
    10. Take the doggies for a nice walk in the afternoon, play a little Wii with the family to keep moving.
    11. Repeat for the entire 4-day weekend...workout, eat only when hungry, keep portions small, stay active, and ENJOY.

OK...I'm editing to remove the LOGGING part! I've managed to maintain for a couple of months now without it, so WHY would I start on Thanksgiving?!? THANKFUL to those who pointed out the insanity of that. :flowerforyou:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the day, eat, drink and be merry:drinker: Forget about MFP and logging! On Friday return back to your healthy habits and exercise!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the day, eat, drink and be merry:drinker: Forget about MFP and logging! On Friday return back to your healthy habits and exercise!

This! One day will NOT ruin you. This is a lifestyle change. Will you never enjoy Thanksgiving dinner again? Everything in moderation.... Pass the Sweet Potato Casserole, Please!
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My plan is simple. Since I have had gastric bypass, I can't eat much at once. So I am gonna eat little bits at a time. As always PROTEIN first. Turkey and ham. Then have some dressing and potatoes. Due to how much sugar is in sweet potato casserole will not be on my plate. I am making a pumpkin pie with Splenda....and can eat 1/2 piece.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Any good tips to avoid overeating for Thanksgiving?

Also -- I'm Thankful for the MFP community and ap. Has helped me lose 14 lbs. Only 20 more to go!

Drink yourself into a stupor while watching football, you might pass out and avoid eating all the yummy food, other than that enjoy and get on track tomorrow
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to worry about overeating, but I figure I might as well load up on veggies first and take a walk during the day just so I feel better about it.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I am calling it a free day but I plan to limit my appetizers, snacks, and desserts. I'm having all my faves: turkey breast with some of the crunchy skin on it, mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, broccoli with cheese sauce, and a smidge of cranberry jelly. And I think one dinner roll is enough. I don't need the other stuff and it saves room for my real favorites. Also I'm having a killer workout in the morning so I'll be good to eat whatever I want. For dessert I just want a little cheesecake and a piece of chocolate cream pie!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    When you get up in the morning, drink a glass of milk. Chase it with a can of diet coke.

You should drop dead of various cancers just before the turkey is cut.

(Or, just enjoy yourself and have a happy thanksgiving!)
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat..... A LOT! I can't wait for my MIL's pecan pie!!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I am thankful for my MFP friends too! And my boyfriend, family, etc.

Tips: Enjoy the day. It's rare and as long as you get back up the next day, there won't be that much damage.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    A good solid 1 hr run tomorrow morning..then diving into the food :laugh: ..may have at least 1 slice of each pie..(2 pies that I know) Like everyone else said..ENJOY! If thats what you want..if you want to be safe, then its your choice. I was going to try and play it safe, but if i feel like more..then ill have a bit more. :happy:
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    When you get up in the morning, drink a glass of milk. Chase it with a can of diet coke.

You should drop dead of various cancers just before the turkey is cut.

(Or, just enjoy yourself and have a happy thanksgiving!)

pug.gif

Heh.

OP, I will be working out in the morning, then enjoying a little bit of everything all day. Including Diet Coke and milk.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Am super-glad that others are doing the same as I plan to do! Enjoy the day and don't think about it!!!! That and what is thanksgiving w/out desert and Saranac's Holiday 12 pack? LOL (GRIN)

I do plan to keep my left-over eating light and healthy though starting Friday morning with egg-white, white meant turkey casserole (yummy) as I generally dont eat very heavily anyways!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!

PS: Am thankful for being Stateside this Turkey Day and am thankful for all of those who are NOT spending their holiday at home with family so that I can.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to eat and enjoy the day but that doesn't mean I can't take a few small precautions as well.

1. go for an extra long run in the morning
    2. eat a regular salad for lunch
    3. fill up most of my plate with the salad I'm bringing and any veggies that look good
    4. put tiny portions of everything on my plate (knowing that I can't resist the seconds, I can better decide what's worth going back for)
    5. skip the dinner roll (they're not usually that good)
    6. have a sliver of each of the pies

We're having it at 6 pm (since we're overseas and my daughter's in school) and at a friend's house so there won't be any leftovers to tempt me.
  • Jeremyjly
    Options
    :-)

I just worked out in the morning and ate a good helping of everything. The leftovers is what did me in.

-Jeremy