how do you log your exercise and calories burned?

When I am on an elliptical or some other machines, it will tell me how many calories burned. However, when I put the time spent on the elliptical on MFP, there is a huge difference between what the elliptical said I burned and what MFP said I burned.

Which is more accurate? And if you think the elliptical is more accurate, how do you log it?

Replies

• I go with what the elliptical says because it knows how fast I was going and with what resistance. When I check the "elliptical trainer" activity it asks me how long I was on and then it automatically fills in the calories, but, right below that, it gives you the option to manually enter the amount of calories burned as well.
  • *correction: if you highlight the calories that are automatically calculated by MFP you can delete them and enter in the calories reported by the elliptical machine
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    The elliptical is probably more accurate... but getting a HRM would be better. I use two different models of the same brand elliptical (at two different gyms) and one always gives me way more calories burned for the same amount of time/resistance, but the HRM gives me about 5% less than the smaller number, and MFP gives me a little more than the bigger number. And the difference between the smallest and biggest number is over 10%, so overreporting definitely adds up.
  • Well, I'm new and don't understand something. I do 23 strength exercises 3 x week and cardio 6 x week. First, where do I find how many calories each exercise burns? Second, why don't those calories burned during strength exercises appear on the report. :huh:
  • Nevermind, I found a good site that says you burn 16 calories for every minute you pump iron. That may not be exact, but I'm running with it.

BTW Got a reply on the burning calories question I posed on Yahoo Answers. Guy said you burn very little, about the same as running--or walking x distance. Haha. That's what they said on that site. So I think I'm good.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Well, I'm new and don't understand something. I do 23 strength exercises 3 x week and cardio 6 x week. First, where do I find how many calories each exercise burns? Second, why don't those calories burned during strength exercises appear on the report. :huh:

If you search strength training under the cardio section you get s value.

To the OP - I always go for the lowest number whichever that is.
  • djtulppo
    djtulppo Posts: 34 Member
    You should use what the machine says. I also use one and the ones on MFP are higher then my actual machine says! .:flowerforyou: