Help with HRM?

bonkers5975
bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey folks! Thanks in advance for any help with my problem.

I have just purchased an Omron HR-100C, and it is not equipped with a 'calories burned' feature... I'm thinking after some research that it's a good thing, as the formula most use is inaccurate and on the high side, which is the problem I have with online calories burned calculators. I have determined that my target fat-burning heart rate is between 115 and 132. But how do I know what that burns in terms of calories?

I found one formula at http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

This says that my 45 minutes of circuit training that I've been thinking burned nearly 1000 cals only burns about 400! :noway: On the upside, this could seriously explain my plateau!

So my question is, what do all you HRM users do to calculate just what you've burned? I just want to be in the ballpark and start losing again!

I hope I haven't bored anyone to death! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    I use a polar F6 HRM and it gives me calories burned for my exercise. It registers lower then gym machines and less then this website. It seems pretty accurate to me...but then again I haven't tried other products.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    This site seems pretty good.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

I've found that if you eat your reccommended calories from this site, and do nothing else you will still slowly lose weight. So anything you do on top of that is bonus, and it shouldn't matter how much. Curcuit training is good for working your muscles, but you need sustained activity from your large muscle groups (legs, glutes, back) to get the calorie burn numbers higher. Running, biking, swimming (am I biased since I'm training for a Tri?) all use those muscles, and for an extended perior. Keep the some form of resistance training there, but you've got to go hard and go long to really eat up the numbers.

Rock On and good luck!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    I have a Polar FT7 and it will calculate calories burned based off my height, weight, gender, age, and heart rate. I only burn loads of calories like that if my HR is averaging the high 160s low 170s during a workout (like when I run).
  • bonkers5975
    Thanks, guys! You also have to keep in mind that at 5'10", I am nearly 300 lbs! So I do eat up a few more than a more normal sized person.

I do circuit training for anywhere from 20-30 minutes, then ride my stationary bike hard for another 15-20 min. When the weather allows, I walk 3-5 mi a day in the mountains. We're snowed in right now, though... should get skis!

Anyone else? Interested to hear!:flowerforyou:
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    i traded my hrm in for one that tells calories burned. it was worth the extra money! I found that I was eating more than I should, and adjusted accordingly.
  • i traded my hrm in for one that tells calories burned. it was worth the extra money! I found that I was eating more than I should, and adjusted accordingly.

which one did you get?

i have been looking and reading and trying to compare all these HRM...trying to find a good one!!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    General consensus on the boards is to go for a Polar. I have a F6 and LOVE it.
  • bakergirl62
    bakergirl62 Posts: 248 Member
    I have an F7 and absolutely love it! Wouldn't exercise without. I run for 38 minutes at 5.0 MPH / 2.0 incline on my Treadmill and burn 350 calories. My Treadmill says I burned 610 even though my weight is only 119 and I have that programmed into my machine. I only trust my HRM.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    LOVE my Polar F6! :) Will eventually invest in a higher quality one (like F11) with more features, but for now F6 does all I need it to do! :smile:
  • bonkers5975
    I didn't have the option of a Polar, so I have to make the best of this one!
This discussion has been closed.