P90X Question

Options
I am thinking about starting P90X in March or April when it warms up a little around here so I can do it in the garage. Couple questions.

I am currently working out with a trainer 2 days a week and will be until May or June. I am pretty sore the day after the workouts. Will I be able to do P90X and weight training at the same time?

What else besides a TV and DVD player do I need for P90X? I will be doing it in the garage so do I need a mat, barbells, chin up bar, etc....?

Replies

• smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I just ordered it and would also like ot know the answers. Can you do the program without a chin up bars. I don't have anywere in my house to put one?
  • cdsteffy
    Options
    It doesnt matter what you do it will kick your *kitten* up and down the street then take you to the movies. If you dont have a chin up bar than I think they used bands. It has been awhile since I did P90x and I made it to week 2 I think. lol It is rough but it is worth it.
  • jenstalder
    Options
    Hello,

I am a beachbody coach and love the products.. there are many options to do p90x.. i will tell you that you wont need to train and do p90x... it is a butt kicker... seriously... lol

two options for p90x 1. buy p90x and then buy a pullup bar, and all the weights you will need. you will need many different ones because you can not lift the same weights between your biceps and triceps and you will start needing heavier weights so unless you have all the weights i recommend a resistance band.. they really are great to work with.

option 2. is you can buy a package deal for p90x that includes a pullup bar the resistance bands and a recovery drink that will take your soreness away.. i use it everyday.. never sore...

there is a price difference but you will spend it either way.

It is a great workout and have had many customers with great results...
    you can join my website for free and see what others are saying about it. i swear buy it.
    www.beachbodycoach.com/stalder
    (this will save 1/2 off your shipping if you decide to buy from this site...plus it will allow you to have me as your coach)

There are others programs to that you may be interested in too.. example INSANITY (doesnt need any other items just you) is a great one as well.. p90x is amazing..
    if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.. I am here to help thats what i do..

Please feel free to write anytime. I also have a page on facebook that is called fitnessbeliever.. feel free to check it out..
    Hope to hear from you and look forward to seeing what you decided to do.
    Your new friend,
    Jen
  • jenstalder
    Options
    You can do the pull ups with out the bar.. you will use the resistance bands and they show you on the videos how to hang them an dthe angle you need to be on your knees or butt to get the same workout... tony shows you this during the workout.. he has some doing modified workouts while others are going to the extreme.. it is one of the best ways to workout...he has the understanding of what everyone needs.. so shows all aspects.. it is a butt kicker...LOL

www.beachbodycoach.com/stalder

if you would like me to be your coach please let me know and we can make that happen.....it is no charge for me to be added to you on the beachbody page...
  • demiahbryant
    demiahbryant Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a HR monitor (with calorie counter). It will help you keep on track. P90X focuses on muscle confusion - I do a lot of that with my trainer and I've had great results! Good luck!
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If you are doing P90X that IS your weight training you won't want to do any other because you need to follow the program to get the benefits of if. I just started on week one and loving it. I use a recovery drink and am not really too sore yet.
  • EPMARTINEZ01
    Options
    P90x is the best program ever.. I lost 15 lbs with it and now i am getting ready to compete.. If you are interested in the product and/or have additional questions, please go to my website www.transformationinmotion.com.

I can help you reach your fitness goals,
    Liz
    Fitness Coach
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    To give you an idea if you would still want your trainer, the schedule kinda goes like this:

Mon: upper body
    Tues: Plyometrics
    Wed Upper body
    Thurs: Yoga
    Fri: Legs/back
    Sat: Kenpo
    Sun: rest

"Upper body" works different muscle groups each time. That schedule goes for 3 weeks & then its followed by a recovery week that has yoga & Kenpo, but adds in a great one called core synergistics. The upper body workout dvds change from month 1 to month 2. The last month is 4 weeks & then a recovery week. I don't know your fitness level, but my husband & I are able to still do other types of cardio workouts while doing p90x. This is our second round & both times my husband continues to run & I continue to do some of my other favorite cardio dvds on most weight days. I'm not saying that doing that is for everybody, but it works fine for us. The biggest problem is that p90x workouts are so darn long...60 minutes plus 16 minutes of abson weight days, yoga is like 90 minutes or something crazy like like. I LOVE P90X & hope to continue to do 1 or 2 rounds of it every year for as long as my body will let me!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    My whole family did the program last spring to support my son as he was getting in shape for basketball season at the high school. I put on some weight over the holidays and have now started a "hybrid" program of P90X and some tough cardio classes at my gym. The weight is coming off very quickly. It is a great program. I suggest if you do buy it, don't plan to start as soon as you get it in the mail. I read the workouts and nutrition guide and watched all the videos BEFORE I started so I would know how and where to use the equipment. It allowed me to focus on working hard right away since I wasn't having to pause and figure out what the heck I was doing and I had gone grocery shopping for the proper foods ahead of time as well. It is money well spent. Oh, by the way, we have nowhere to put the chin up bar, we use the bands and they still work very well.

Best of luck to you!
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about starting P90X in March or April when it warms up a little around here so I can do it in the garage. Couple questions.

Congratulations! It's a great program, but it's not a magic bullet -- it guides you but it won't do the work for you. I'm in my third go-around of it, after having completed two 90-day cycles of it already.
    I am currently working out with a trainer 2 days a week and will be until May or June. I am pretty sore the day after the workouts. Will I be able to do P90X and weight training at the same time?

P90X includes weight training already so you won't need to double up on it.
    What else besides a TV and DVD player do I need for P90X? I will be doing it in the garage so do I need a mat, barbells, chin up bar, etc....?

In the garage, you'll need a yoga mat, dumbbells of varying weights -OR- a set of resistance bands. The videos will explain how to use the bands in various exercises. You don't need a barbell set.

Supplements and what-not are optional. I used the P90X Peak Recovery Formula (what Tony calls the "recovery drink" in the videos). I didn't notice any significant difference with it, apart from having spent $60 on it. Heart rate monitor is also optional, as the anaerobic exercise days won't necessarily jack up your heart rate, but you'll still be burning calories on those days.

One last thing: FOLLOW THE NUTRITION GUIDE. I often see people asking whether they really NEED to (in that sort of reading-between-the-lines "I don't want to, so I'm hoping someone tells me it's okay that I don't and can still expect big guns, flat abs, and be all ripped and shredded"). Following the nutrition guide is critical if you want the results from the infomercials. It's crafted the way it is for a reason.