Pregaming Thanksgiving

Options
Is it odd to pregame a meal?

I read an article that says people usually eat between 3,000 to 5,000 calories at Thanksgiving, I'm planning on not doing that. I'm going to try to look ahead at what everyone is bringing to eat, scope out the serving size and calorie count and probably cut that serving size in half if I can. I love stuffing and I love pecan pie. Sadly I read pecan pie is the killer in the calorie count of the entire Thanksgiving feast since it has 503 calories per slice.

Also I'm aiming to have a small breakfast before hand, I just might eat a few fruits so I can put all my calorie count into Thanksgiving as well. I use to eat until I had food coming out of my ears. I kind of miss those days. XD

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Nope, I think we are all doing this today... getting ready to enjoy the holiday and plan how we will handle the temptation of food and how to fit it in our healthy lifestyles. It may be a "day off" or "minimize damage" or "just avoid" but it's all up to us as individuals to choose.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the day off, but this is a great idea. If you look things up ahead of time, you'll know where to "invest" your indulgences. For example, I find mincemeat pie tolerable, and in the past might have just had a slice for the hell of it, but these days I know its not worth eating something I'm meh about if it's got a bunch of calories in it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've heard 3000 calories but 5000? That's for people who seriously eat all day. You don't have to do that !

I'm going to eat a sensible, usual breakfast and lunch, and the enjoy the dinner. We'll all eat more than usual, but I certainly do not plan to go hog-wild !
  • DaphneAtx
    Options
    Here's a great solution for those who want the taste of pecan pie without all those calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/800946-mini-pecan-tarts-68-cals-each
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ... but these days I know its not worth eating something I'm meh about if it's got a bunch of calories in it.

This is why I will probably eat nothing but pie; that's the highlight of my Thanksgiving(as a vegetarian there isn't much else for me except green bean casserole which is "meh") so it'll be a cheat day content wise but I will try to stay under 2000 calories haha
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Here's a great solution for those who want the taste of pecan pie without all those calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/800946-mini-pecan-tarts-68-cals-each

Mother of God that's awesome!
  • IslandRider
    Options
    I'm taking the day off, but this is a great idea. If you look things up ahead of time, you'll know where to "invest" your indulgences. For example, I find mincemeat pie tolerable, and in the past might have just had a slice for the hell of it, but these days I know its not worth eating something I'm meh about if it's got a bunch of calories in it.
    I agree, I'm going to go with small portions of the things I really love and leave the rest. The hardest part for me will be the liquid libations... Any one have ideas for cutting back on the vino?
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I plan to not have any vino, it's like potato chips for me, I can't have just one. I am better off just not drinking at all. It's a huge change for me because in years past I would easily drink a bottle at dinner and then come home and open another.
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Well my plan went out the window...