Taste of Home Root Vegetable Beef Stew

Options
I made this last night. It was delicious. I am actually having it again for lunch today.

I had never had rutabaga or parsnips before, so I was very proud of myself for trying a new recipe with new ingredients. I am not very brave when it comes to trying new things. It was actually very good.

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) reduced-sodium beef broth
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 cup cubed carrots
1 cup cubed peeled rutabaga
1 cup cubed peeled parsnips
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water

1. In a large non-stick skillet (you can spray with cooking spray) cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.

2. Put meat and onion mixture into a large pot; add broth, vegetables, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into the stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

6 servings (serving size 1 1/3 cup)
246 calories
6 g fat
659 mg sodium
29 g carbs
5 g fiber
18 g protein

exps21504_CW10369D37.jpg

Replies

• SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    :smile: Sounds yummy!!! I will have to try it.
  • NickiChase
    NickiChase Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We are not beef eaters, so do you suppose it would taste as good with ground chicken breast and chicken stock?
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    We are not beef eaters, so do you suppose it would taste as good with ground chicken breast and chicken stock?

It might. Have you tried any kind of chicken stew...I suppose it would take like that.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    This was really good just need to add more pepper.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    This was really good just need to add more pepper.

Glad you liked it. I wonder if crushed red pepper would be good. I like things spicy.