Which one for lean toned muscles

Options
Heavy weights in short reps or lighter weights with more reps? and how much should I be curling either way?

Replies

• Ashia1317
    Options
    Good question. I was always told if you want to "bulk up" it's heavier weight, less reps. To tone and maintenance, it's less weight more reps. I just want to tone and I was told that I should be choosing the weight that's good enough to do 10-12 reps with the last two being the hardest. Rest 30 sec - 1 min in between each set. Do 3 sets.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    heavy weights with less reps is good for bulking, but if you want to bulk, you want to eat more than required.

If you are eating at a deficit and lifting any amount of weight....you will just build strength and maybe a little bit of muscle in the beginning.
  • Missy_B
    Missy_B Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cool thanks guys.
  • supersportgsxr6
    supersportgsxr6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Work with a weight that you can any where from 3-5 sets with, at 10-15 reps per set. Work in some cardio after your weight training, or if you prefer, on the days where you are not weight training. If you want to become "lean", your diet is going to play a big part. Weight training is a good start, but if your diet is off, you will never see the results you are asking for. Make sure not to neglect the larger muscle groups (ie. chest, back, legs). Since muscle cells burn the most calories, and are responsible for 90 percent of the calories we burn every day, it would make most sense to target those larger muscles with more muscle cells.

Hope this makes sense, and good luck to you :)
  • Mommy08
    Mommy08 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    lighter weights more reps for us ladys who want that slim toned body without the bulk :)
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    And don't forget to eat right and get enough sleep.
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good info , saving to my topics.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    higher reps/lighter weight....bulking wont happen as long as you are eating right
  • pianoteacherevan
    pianoteacherevan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Trav is correct. 99% of women don't produce enough testosterone to "bulk up." But it is possible to not get a good enough workout if the resistance is too small. Just make sure you're really feeling the burn, especially with the last several reps. If you get to 15 reps, and it still doesn't really burn, bump the weight up a notch. Make sure you're getting enough protein in your diet for muscle recovery too.