NEW to MFP - BASIC Questions - Listed Stats - HELP

Options
Basic Questions:

Do I need to eat something/anything before I work out?
I am up at 4:30am to get to the gym at 5:15am. I am there at least 35 to 45 minutes. I'm not hungry, but I am not losing weight like I thought I would. On limited calories 1400 per day, burning at a minimum of 250 calories 5 days per week. I'm afraid if I start eating earlier, I will add at least 200 calories to my day. I have lost 6 pounds in the past 30 days. Stats: age 49, 5'1", 162 lbs, BMI 38 (don't know how that's possible) - started at 162 lbs and a BMI of 42, 10 weeks ago. Then I gained 6 pounds while starting a workout program at the gym and trainer - again, what's up with that. When my trainer said it was all muscle weight, I changed trainers.

Starting next week (11/26) I plan to start following the Fit for Life program - but sticking to my 1400 calories if I can. Eating 3 meals and 3 snacks per day - several other rules but it all sounds reasonable.

Any help is appreciated. I start with a new experienced and sought after trainer on 11/27. I just started using my fitness pal within the past 30 days with success, but just found the forums.

Thanks,
Terresa:blushing:

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I often go for my run before I eat breakfast and I find that I actually feel better when I run fasted so I wouldn't worry about eating before your workout if you aren't hungry.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I also don't eat before going to the gym if I go first thing and it doesn't seem to matter.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I took your age, weight, activity level and calculated your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Based on a 20% defecit for weight loss, you should be eating 1700 calories a day (actually it was 1697, but rounded it up). That's including your exercise, so just eat 1700, don't eat back exercise calories and you should see success. There's lots of higher calorie folks kicking around if you need help!