Oatmeal question

Options
I bought me some oatmeal today to eat for breakfast but I am wondering what do you put in it if you don't like to eat it plain? I have always put in some brown sugar but I am now thinking that may not be the best choice anymore.

What are your suggestions?

TIA

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Have a look on the The Gracious Pantry website - she has amazing ideas for oatmeal - my personal favorite - Carrot Cake Oatmeal and Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal :-)

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-carrot-cake-oatmeal/
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    For one packet of instant oatmeal I do 3/4 cup almond milk and a tea spoon of vanilla extract, and a squirt of honey all mixed together!
  • nadinab
    nadinab Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You can put in whatever you crave. I generally have

- Dates, Banana and Cinamon
    - Raspberry / Blue Berries / strawberries with a dash of real maple syrup
    - Coffee / Cocoa = Mocha
    - Nut mix with a dash of honey

:wink:
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I like to put in blueberries, chopped walnuts, cinnamon and a little soy milk. Bananas or other fruit is good too. Nothing wrong with a little brown sugar if you want the sweetness. Honey or maple syrup are good too. Experiment a little and see what you like the best.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    raisins is my favorite!!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I buy huge bags of frozen blueberries and heat about 1/2 cup in the microwave and mix them in along with a teaspoon of brown sugar and some milk and sometimes a little coconut. Delicious.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sugar free strawberry preserves or sugar free seedless blackberry preserves. Usually 2 tbsp. for 20 calories.
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My favorite:
    1/2 oz of good parmesan cheese
    1/8 c of dried currants (or cranberries)
    Some days I add bacon. It's always less than 300 calories and quite filling.

I also like dried fruit with a pinch of pumpkin pie spice and a drizzle of honey or brown sugar.
    Plus a dollop of greek yogurt or cottage cheese to up the protein.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Stevia, a bit of salt, cocoa powder and sometimes sugar free cheesecake flavored pudding mix. Mmmm :)
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One tablespoon natural peanut butter and half a banana!
  • fishiesintheseaa
    fishiesintheseaa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually just put some honey, and I think thats perfect. A few weeks ago however, I got really sick of my usual oatmeal. I decided to put put a pinch of cinnamon sugar and 1/2 a teaspoon of nutella. It was soooo yummy! (:
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    PB & J Oatmeal is amazing!
    Or, a good flavored protein powder with milk, if you have it. :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    grind it up in a coffee grinder and add it to some vanilla almond milk and vanilla whey protein powder

add ice, blend and enjoy a vanilla milkshake
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I like the Splenda brown sugar blend, cinnamon, and a splash of milk.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I like raisins, both regular ones and golden. Also I've tried dried cranberries (Craisins).
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    1/3 Cup of organic frozen raspberries.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is cool because you can put nearly anything in it and it is delicious.

just try anything, really.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I like to add some raisins or chopped up dates. And some walnuts.

Also an extra tablespoon of flaxseeds for extra fiber and omega 3.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    with my morning protein shake.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i'm happy eating mine straight, just salt and water and boil. i like to cook it where you see the individual oats vs it looking porridgy...to accomplish this i use just a lil less water than called for. the way i usu have oatmeal is like that w a lil splenda and cinnamon after cooking and topped w a microwave egg over easy.

if you really like the taste of brown sugar just measure it out and add. you can work it in just fine.