Mom need activity suggestions

Options
I am a mother of 6 and currently working two jobs (1 full time 2nd part time). I want to lose weight for health reasons, but it just seems I have no time to go to a gym (and can afford). I would not mind walking but by the time I am done all that I need to do in a day I am exhausted. I am new on this site and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    I would focus on diet more than exercise right now. Work on the things you can control and don't worry so much about what you can't control. You can unofficially build in extra exercise in your day, such as parking further away at the store, taking the stairs instead of an elevator, and maybe walking during your lunch break.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    What about workout videos you could watch at home early in the morning before work and kids? I know it's a horrible time to have to work out, but I had to do it for years when my kids were younger. Also, I bet you could find some pretty reasonably priced workout videos at secondhand stores. Tae-bo or kickboxing or step aerobics may be easy to find. Best of luck!
  • paddymc
    paddymc Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Its been my experience that when I am too tired to get out there and walk, I was just tired thinking of it. If you push yourself to get out there the first couple of times for a walk even though your exhausted, you will feel amazing at the end of the walk and you beat a "do nothing" demon at the same time. Go walk and be proud!!
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You're kids may actually enjoy doing work out videos like Tae Bo with you. You know what I do sometimes....it seems silly but, you burn a ton of calories...dancing...at home. Take a weekend evening when your kids dont have school the next day and make it a family night. Have a dance party. You can burn 250 calories just dancing for 45 min.! And its fun.
    Not sure if this helps but I hope so!
    Good Luck!
  • BrattyLori
    BrattyLori Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hey! First of all - MUCH respect for mothering 6 children. Outstanding! You're already doing lots of work!

What about getting a set of pedals that you can just set in front of a chair and pedal while you're watching tv? Its like riding a recumbant bike. I wonder if your doc could order some as a prescription? Or you could check out ebay for some. Otherwise, here's a link to them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=exercise+equipment,+pedals

Good luck!
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i don;t have six kids but i do have 2 and i workout to dvd bc i don't have time for the gym and i don't work out on a schedule/ pretty much when i can but i try to do atleast 4 times a week if not more/ i do workout about 2hrs before i go to bed. no its not great but thats the time that works best for me/ and as long as y ou have great eating habits you shouldn't have a problem (i know easier said than done)/