Anyone have success with BodyPump

Options
Has anyone taken BodyPump classes and had success? I'm finally going to be getting my YMCA membership renewed and I was looking into their group fitness classes. They have bodypump on the three mornings a week that I am able to go to the gym. If you've done these classes for an extended time frame and had success, can you post pics to motivate me. I'm currently 5'2" and weigh 194, wearing size 16 jeans. I know the best way to get the body I want is a combination of cardio, strength training, and calorie restriction.

Replies

• LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I don't have photos, but I've been taking Pump for about a year now, usually 1-3 times a week combined with cardio and/or circuit training on other days, working out 5-6 days a week. I love Pump! I've lost close to 20 pounds, have lost body fat and lots of inches, and look and feel great.

There are lots of folks who say that Pump is really a cardio class, not strength training because there are a lot of reps. While it's true there are a lot of reps, it's a full-body workout and you increase weights as you get stronger, so you can lift pretty heavy. Especially as a beginner, it's a great way to start. The last couple of months, I've started to focus on more traditional weight training lifting heavy with fewer reps, but I still take Pump every now and again and I still feel challenged so long as I load up the weights. I say - go for it!
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've been doing bodypump for about a month straight. I go to a different lesmils class every day, like bodycombat, bodyflow, bodystep, etc. I love bodypump so much! I've lost a couple pounds and inches in the month I've been doing it combined with balanced eating. I would give it a try, its pretty awesome.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I agree and count BodyPump as a cardio class. However, it is a great way to get introduced to weights. Go for it! Have fun!
  • kgrman
    Options
    What do you guys put BodyPump in your exercises as?
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    How do you log Body pump? I am currently doing a 3 day trial at the Y and they have it there. Thinking about trying it!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    What do you guys put BodyPump in your exercises as?

I wear a HRM and count it as cardio.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Someone (who I think works for Les Mills) posted a research study that average calories burned for a woman is 312. (Which is less than what they post -- or used to post -- on their website). I made a category for Pump under cardio and record 312, although I'm sure on some days, it's more than that. But I'd rather be conservative about calories burned.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love love love bodypump. I have seen a significant difference in my strenght and I'm starting to see definition in my arms and back. I don't have any pictures, but I would recommend that you try it. It takes a while to get used to the program and the amount of weights to put on for different muscle groups. I log it under circuit training (I read different threads on here and a good amount of people log it that way) but I only put 40 mins as it overestimates calories for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!