Need an effective strength routine.. preferably no weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I lift weights because I love the iron and I'm going through New Rules for Women the second time through. I'm totally sold on progressively increasing weights so that I continue to challenge and build muscles. I am always trying to make my lifting exercises harder.

But I also have a strength-focused body weight routine from a book called Convict Conditioning. You make pushups harder by bringing your hands closer and then going one armed or by lifting your feet to the point of hand stand push ups. It ISN'T a matter of doing more reps because of "lower weight" this isn't like 3 pound weights and "do more reps at lower weight so you don't get bulky" stupid foolishness like that. You can be serious and badass and really push your strength in body weight routines.

So, to the OP, if you want this, you're going to have to do your own reading. I'm not going to lay this out for you with specific exercises, descriptions, reps, and how to make them progressively harder. That's a bit much to ask.

However the book, CONVICT CONDITIONING will do that for you in one read through. It is aimed at men, so it will talk about building gigantic muscles. Ignore that, because unless you have their testosterone, you won't get gigantic muscles like men. Iron won't do it, body weight won't do it.

But there's a whole program in Convict Conditioning that if you keep at it for years may well get you to one-legged (pistol) squats, handstand push ups, pikes on the rings, one armed pull ups, and one handed push ups. It starts with wall push ups and knee tucks, so as beginner or as advanced as you think you might be, you're within the range that this book covers and you're likely to progress in strength and still be within the range the book covers.

Well worth the $40 for you to buy it and understand and design your own program.
  • gaston095
    Options
    You could try squats, push ups and leg raises, look for convict conditioning videos on youtube.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning sounds like an excellent book. I might get that one.

There is also another book called: "Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength"