Whey Protein

Mangoaddict
Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
what is whey protein and why is it good for you? Has it helped anyone get healthier?

Replies

• EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    My fiance is using it right now to build his muscle mass.. He really likes it. He's not trying to lose weight though, but gain muscle.. I'm not going to use it, because I am trying to lose weight.. I guess I don't know much about it :indifferent:
  • I take whey protein shakes. It's a dairy by-product, like when they make cheese and the whey is the clear liquid that seperates from the cheese. It comes in a powder.
    I lift weights and if you do so you should try to ensure you get enough protein in your diet. Whey protein is just another way to add this to your diet.
    I eat cottage cheese, tuna etc.. but the shakes help me make up the difference. I've only started watching my protein intake again recently and I feel much better now that I do.
    They shakes when made with milk make a great small meal. I like to throw a banana in for nutrition and flavour. Yummy :) !!!
  • supersportgsxr6
    supersportgsxr6 Posts: 3 Member
    While a lot of people use why protein for it's muscle building properties, there are other benefits as well. It can aid in weight loss, so don't write it off completely while dieting. Here's a website that highlights some of its benefits. Hope this helps.

http://www.wheyoflife.org/benefits.cfm#performance
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    I don't - I eat plenty of dairy but my mother was to use it because she was Protein deficient. It is a matter of what you need nutritionally.
  • JazzyMarie
    JazzyMarie Posts: 37 Member
    i was having this conversation with my friends today and i said how i might get a tub of whey
    they were like NOOOO it makes you gain weight....but i thought it makes you lose weight? i know it builds muscle which adds weight but why do i hear that whey is good for weight loss?
    :S
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Another question - if my protein is always going in the (over) category, do I still need whey protein?
  • I use whey protein. But I need the protein because I do Insanity and it helps with muscle recovery because muscles are made up of protein. I'm losing weight (more inches than lbs.) using it and have no problems with it. It's actually really filling too and keeps you full for a while. I used to be scared of it, thinking I was gonna be a body builder from it or gain weight from it but it's helped me so far in my weight loss. But I'm also trying to become healthier, not just "drop 10lbs instantly". It's not a weight loss shake that helps you lose X amount of lbs in X amount of time, so if that's the way you're going, then no, whey protein won't help you.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    I use whey protein. But I need the protein because I do Insanity and it helps with muscle recovery because muscles are made up of protein. I'm losing weight (more inches than lbs.) using it and have no problems with it. It's actually really filling too and keeps you full for a while. I used to be scared of it, thinking I was gonna be a body builder from it or gain weight from it but it's helped me so far in my weight loss. But I'm also trying to become healthier, not just "drop 10lbs instantly". It's not a weight loss shake that helps you lose X amount of lbs in X amount of time, so if that's the way you're going, then no, whey protein won't help you.

i am thinking of replacing my dinner with protein shake considering i workout after work and well i don't get very hungry after i work out, and maybe it will help with my muscle recovery from insanity as well. but what was the time frame that you noticed it was helping your muscles.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    also, whey protien is digested much quicker than normal protien...so its good for after workout recovery drink
This discussion has been closed.