Does anyone drink apple cider vinegar in water?

Options
I've been drinking a tbs of apple cider vinegar in 16 ounces of water since Friday. I read it could boost your metabolism ect. I noticed that I get some mild stomach pains for a few hours after drinking it.

Has anyone had this issue? I've lost nearly 4 lbs since Friday. I don't know if it's that's a reason why I've lost so much weight in such a short span of time or if it's because I've more than doubled my water intake since Friday. One thing is for certain, the nausea suppresses my appetite.

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I like it as a salad dressing :D just add a few spices and it adds a punch :)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    not been sick from it though
  • rosebud2468
    Options
    I used to use it -- a few tbsps before meals. seriously helps you loose weight-- i think its an insulin thing
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes my son and I use it a lot. I sometimes have to stop because it mess with my taste buds. I had to cut down from 1 tbsp 3 times a day to 2 tsp 2 times a day. I had to stop while I had treatment on my stomach and I have not started back. You may have to reduce the amount of vinegar or increase water. Another reason I done it it for acid re flux. After doing the tonic for a week I had less heartburn and then none. I wont start back until the first of the year. I have to be very careful of acid foods for a little while. I am still trying to see what I can stomach. I stand by this tonic. I like home remedies. Google benefits of apple cider vinegar you will be amazed at all the health benefits.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Hm, I may give that a try. I don't like plain water.
  • m0_0m
    m0_0m Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was drinking a Tbsp a day for a few weeks. Never made me feel nauseated or anything of that sort. Can't really say if it helped me or not as I was more diligent on working out and eating healthier then (been slacking a bit lately).
    I personally wouldn't drink something that made me feel ill but I'm interested in hearing more!
  • ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I took it for about six weeks recently (advice from personal trainer) but I really didn't like it...liked it less and less each day as I took it after exercising.....then it did start to affect my stomach, and I have an acidic stomach issue anyway so figured it was just not something I could keep up long term. I now have an almost full bottle of the best apple cider vinegar in the pantry ready for making salad dressings! Good luck with it.....
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I do when I remember to do it. I have the organic one by Bragg's. I took it one morning first thing on an empty stomach and it burned so I'll never do that again! Only after food for me. Didn't take it long enough to notice any benifits.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yes, I drink it diluted in water, maybe once a day. Make sure you are getting apple cider vinegar with "the mother", which is the beneficial bacteria growth that does lots of wonderful things for our bodies.
  • raylynn244
    raylynn244 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I always drink apple cider vinegar in water. I don't do it for metabolism, I've never heard of that.. if it's true than cool, that's a bonus.. haha. I do it to prevent UTIs which I used to get a lot of, but not anymore since I've been drinking that. I actually think it tastes good too. Take care!
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    When I get a sore throat, I gargle with it! I do like the taste of it, so I tend to put a little bit in hot water or a little lemon in hot water in the mornings.

If it hurts, I wouldn't do it. You can get good bacteria from probiotics (acidopholus pills - the refrigerated kind) and to ramp up your metabolism, it sounds like you're staying hydrated and eating breakfast, so that's good! From various sources, 5 small meals throughout the day keeps the blood sugar steady, so that's good for your metabolism too. :)
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    i use it as a facial toner.
    and in cooking.
    oh, and as a hair rinse.

can't stand the taste.

i hear from customers that it's awesome.

helps with diabetes, cholesterol and arthritis as well.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    When I get a sore throat, I gargle with it! I do like the taste of it, so I tend to put a little bit in hot water or a little lemon in hot water in the mornings.

If it hurts, I wouldn't do it. You can get good bacteria from probiotics (acidopholus pills - the refrigerated kind) and to ramp up your metabolism, it sounds like you're staying hydrated and eating breakfast, so that's good! From various sources, 5 small meals throughout the day keeps the blood sugar steady, so that's good for your metabolism too. :)

Most of what you said is actually completely false...the breakfast thing, the 5 small meals thing. We need to stop repeating these ridiculous myths.
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    I use it in my hair. Never eaten/drank it before. But I hate the taste of regular vinegar so I think the same would apply
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I drink a shot straight 2 times per day everyday.
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I drink a shot straight 2 times per day everyday.

You must be made of steel! I can't even stand it diluted - makes my eyes water.
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the taste either. I add a stevia packet and sometimes some cinnamon powder.
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do 3tbsp of apple cider vinegar, a cup and half of water, sliced cucumbers, sliced onions and sliced tomatos. yummm
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I prefer to research via reputable sources;therefore, this is copied from the Mayo Clinic:

Apple cider vinegar for weight loss: Effective?

Drinking apple cider vinegar for weight loss seems far-fetched. Does it work?

Answer

from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Drinking apple cider vinegar for weight loss isn't likely to be effective.

Proponents of the apple cider vinegar diet claim that drinking a small amount of apple cider vinegar before meals or taking an apple cider vinegar supplement helps curb appetite and burn fat. However, there's little scientific support for these claims.

Although occasional use of apple cider vinegar is safe for most people, it won't likely lead to weight loss — and it may pose problems of its own. For example:
    Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. It may irritate your throat if you drink it often or in large amounts.
    Apple cider vinegar may interact with certain supplements or drugs, including diuretics and insulin. This may contribute to low potassium levels.

Remember, there's no magic bullet for weight loss. The key to losing weight is burning more calories than you consume. Choose healthy foods — such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean sources of protein — and include physical activity in your daily routine.

Besides all that is just SOUNDS gross :-P But if it works for you, more power to ya.
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    its great for more than just weight loss-as previously mentioned.
    I take 2 tablespoons in the am before my breakfast and it helps me to not feel bloated throughout the day. It is also awesome for your skin! I have read that it balances out the acid in your stomach (even though we would think it messes it up seeing as it is an acid itself).
    I like it :)