Companies taking the fun out of Black Friday

HelloSweetie4
HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
Just felt like ranting a bit this morning. There are many stores opening their doors to Black Friday sales TONIGHT at 8pm. What happened to the days of getting your friends together, grabbing a 4am coffee, and waiting for the stores to open at 5am? That's when it was fun, but the greedy companies decide "hey let's try to make more money and open even earlier." They've opened earlier and earlier every year and now is 8pm on thanksgiving?!?! What the heck is the fun in that! Thanks a lot retail world, for ruining the fun of the 5am chase. There is no point in Black Friday anymore.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    yeah stupid companies trying to make money!
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Frostbite and stampedes happened. :0
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Waking up early and fighting crowds to spend my hard earned money was never my idea of a good time.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    My friend says there is a Micahels in her area that is opening at 4PM today.

We don't do black friday...we camp out on Christmas night and wait for the stores to open at 7AM on December 26th (Boxing Day) to snag our deals.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Other than groceries, I'm going to try my damnedest to avoid all shopping until mid-January.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    I participated in it last year and was not very happy at all. They only had a few items of the things I really wanted and the stores are way too crowded to fight over 15 hd tv's. I rather be thankful for the things I already have and if I do decide to shop I can do it online.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Companies do it earlier because people come. Don't make it worth their while, and it will be later next year.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member

Exactly! The nerve! And in this economy too!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Being on cyber Monday. I want nothing to do with hoardes of people at any hour.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member

Exactly! The nerve! And in this economy too!

I know! Every Friday should be Black Friday, because we
    can never have enough Chinese ****! :laugh:

I'm just glad my wife's company had profit sharing this year,
    even thought the ****ing government took almost half of it. :mad:
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    I find it hard to believe that it really increases company profits all that much anyway. If my Christmas budget is $400, for example, I'm probably going to spend about that much no matter what time I shop, whether it be 11/23, 12/24 or if I'm all done by September. I believe in shopping local anyway.

Support Small Business Saturday, not Black Friday!