Confused about clothing sizes.

Options
When I measure myself, right at my navel I am 34" around. When I purchase jeans however that sit on my hips (they are very lowrise!) they are only 28's.I checked with my clothing company and supposedly the numerical number on the jeans are indeed in inches. My hips are wider than where I measure myself.

So, what's the deal? I'm trying to get a better idea of what my body fat percentage is and don't have the money to pay for it! All online calculators require you to input measurements. I don't know what measurement to use!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    clothing companies often "downsize" their sizes because if you think you wear a ten, but you put on this pair of pants that are marked as an 8, and they fit, you are DEFINITELY going to buy those pants!

Trust your tape measure.

and congrats on your size, I can't wait to be that small:flowerforyou:
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Fat-Loss-Monitor/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_2

If you're concerned about body fat percentage, this is the easiest, most accurate way to measure it. Its not exact like calipers or a water displacement test, but its cheap and you dont have to have someone do the test for you and best of all it takes less than a minute to do. If you decide to get one, make sure to perform the measurements consistsantly and follow all the instructions to a T. People like to complain that it gives bad readings but it only does if you dont follow the intstructions, or if you're too atheletic/muscular to use it.
  • incircles_lp2
    incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I encounter the same frustration as you. I measured my waist not too long ago and it was closer to 35 inches and I wear a size 8 most of the time. Certain companies downsize their pants so you think you are skinnier than you really are (depressing, isn't it?). Old Navy seems to downsize a lot. Levi's jeans always seem to fit me right as far as inches are concerned. I think I have smaller thighs and butt though compared to my waist. I am very strangely proportioned and finding jeans to fit is sometimes a daunting task! I blame this on being a cyclist. You kind of lose your "girl curves" when it comes to being proportional. My pants are always falling down in the back!

Don't let pant sizes discourage you though. Just remember that companies don't like to actually measure their pants exact to size, and not all companies are created equal in this department.