Flabby arms

Options

Replies

• Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    What exactly is wrong with the advice to lose fat and strength train?

Nothing. That's the wrong advice for her goal. There is no such thing as "toning" . She wants to get rid of the flabby area. Exercising that muscle won't do that. The very tiny amount of growth she may get will do nothing to aid the goal of losing the fat. Diet is the answer to losing fat..

Resistance training is a very desirable component for its effects on nutrient partitioning/lbm retention.

If done correctly and intensely enough.

I'm just setting the correct example for the context.

pie
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

You diet and continue to lose fat. That is the ONLY way.

lnVM5.gif
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    And this is the vicious circle of MFP bad advice.

You should take your own advice!
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Nothing. That's the wrong advice for her goal. There is no such thing as "toning" . She wants to get rid of the flabby area. Exercising that muscle won't do that. The very tiny amount of growth she may get will do nothing to aid the goal of losing the fat. Diet is the answer to losing fat..

Resistance training is a very desirable component for its effects on nutrient partitioning/lbm retention.

By arguing with people who have experienced results from the methods they are recommending? And without citing any reliable sources? Diet alone will not reduce the batwing effect. To do that, she needs to lift weights. As heavy as she can, and often.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No, no you are not.

Dieting without strength training will lead to loss of LBM. Dieting with strength training will lead to maintenance of LBM. Combine that with newbie gains and the neuromuscular adaptation she will get you end up with defined lean firm arms (aka what people mean when they say toned)
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

By arguing with people who have experienced results from the methods they are recommending? And without citing any reliable sources? Diet alone will not reduce the batwing effect. To do that, she needs to lift weights. As heavy as she can, and often.

Were are your or his sources? You can't argue that I don't have sources when you or anyone else has provided none. You make no sense here. So that guy has a picture on his profile? Who's to say that is credible? How can we KNOW if what he says is true? Lets not start on this bull**** of credibility and citing sources, and "he said she said" bull**** . That's the default defense around here when someone feels challenged in their beliefs. "Show me your proof!!!!!!11!!1!1oneone"

You want to know? Go do your own research and make your own conclusions. I'm not going to keep a log of every resource I've ever used to come to my conclusions and be ready on a whim to paste this into MFP just because you feel challenged. Either take my advice, or don't. I give no ****s either way.

Do you want this person to go around swinging around a 5lb weight expecting the fat to just melt off the upper arm? Then give that advice. If I disagree, so what? Sue me? Yell at me? Say I'm not credible? Every thing posted on this forum is opinion.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I am losing around a pound a week and using the weight machines, too scared at the moment for free weights. I have noticed some definition in my arms having done this for around 6 weeks. It seems to be working but if I use the chest press too heavy I trash my shoulders so have to be very careful. I got measured recently and have lost around 2 inches on my upper arms. They still look horrible but I am hopeful!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Were are your or his sources? You can't argue that I don't have sources when you or anyone else has provided none. You make no sense here. So that guy has a picture on his profile? Who's to say that is credible? How can we KNOW if what he says is true? Lets not start on this bull**** of credibility and citing sources, and "he said she said" bull**** . That's the default defense around here when someone feels challenged in their beliefs. "Show me your proof!!!!!!11!!1!1oneone"

You want to know? Go do your own research and make your own conclusions. I'm not going to keep a log of every resource I've ever used to come to my conclusions and be ready on a whim to paste this into MFP just because you feel challenged. Either take my advice, or don't. I give no ****s either way.

Do you want this person to go around swinging around a 5lb weight expecting the fat to just melt off the upper arm? Then give that advice. If I disagree, so what? Sue me? Yell at me? Say I'm not credible? Every thing posted on this forum is opinion.

Oh calm down buddy - don't get your undies in a bunch.....
    You do what you like, and others (females who lost weight AND "toned" with heavy weights AND kept LBM AND actually can show progress of how they got rid of their batwings) can tell the OP what worked for them - she can make her own decisions...
    .And from her profile picture it does not look like she has a lot of fat to lose anyways.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    She looks slender to me. Lifting heavy weights will firm up and define the muscles. It's beautiful. No need to lose fat, if there isn't much left to lose and that will just lead to very skinny arms. I'm guessing flabby arms could also be from loose skin from weight loss. Lifting weights will help fill that back out. If there is a little fat, lifting weights will help with that as well.

And when you first start lifting weights "heavy" is what is heavy to that person.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Who said you just lift weights? Selective reading there.

Here, have a cookie cookies-smiley-emoticon-1.gif
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am losing around a pound a week and using the weight machines, too scared at the moment for free weights. I have noticed some definition in my arms having done this for around 6 weeks. It seems to be working but if I use the chest press too heavy I trash my shoulders so have to be very careful. I got measured recently and have lost around 2 inches on my upper arms. They still look horrible but I am hopeful!

Good for you!!! :D Keep it up ! Honestly, i remember being afraid to go to the other side of the gym basically where all the guys are, and use the machines. but after a while, i was doing cardio everyday and at some point i was fed up. Spending roughly $60.00 on a monthly basis for my membership and all im doing is walking/running etc. I was beyond bored, i didnt feel like going to the gym anymore because of this. On bodybuilding.com they show videos as to how to use the machines which helped SO SO MUCH. Plus on the machines themselves they give you directions. Good luck :D!
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Push-ups, tricep dips, weights, there are so many.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If you keep the flab you can use it as a pair of wings and fly anywhere.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    tricep chair dips...
    very easy...works super great!
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I can testify that lifting weights will help in reducing the dreaded bat wings been there done that. I manage to get great definition and tone and my upper body looked great!

Unfortunately I fell off the fitness band wagon so starting from scratch again but know with regular consistent strength training what amazing results you can achieve.

Some of my exercises include tricep dips, overhead tricep extensions (with dumbell) bicep curls, incline dumbell flys, chest press, lat pulldowns, shoulder press and seated rows.

Hope this helps and Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10204826/

Here is a good study that shows that lean body mass is retained due to resistance training. This is why resistance training is critical to muscle retention and more effective that diet alone. And what does more muscle mean? It means you need less weight loss to hage a leaner and tight body. This is why staci is ripped at 140 while she isnt at 120.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

No you don't! That's how you end up skinny fat - in other words, with a cute little number on the scale, and flabby batwings.....

I agree.

Losing fat > Losing weight
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

And lifting weights is the answer to burning fat while maintaining muscle. No such thing as toning? While I know that many on MFP don't like that word, it *is* a legitimate English word. It's the present participle of the word "tone." In the common vernacular, it's a verb means to increase tone. In physiology, it refers to the muscle being partially contracted when at rest. There is some variance between the biological definition and the use of the term in common speech, true.

Yes, you can lose fat through diet alone, but without strength training, you will lose muscle tone as well. I can't imagine anyone, especially a woman, looking "toned" through diet alone. Diet is the biggest part, and very important, but to disregard training your muscles for both strength and endurance makes no sense to me. This is why I keep my deficit small and concentrate on increasing my strength and endurance. Meh, people have different goals, but if being "toned" is a goal, then focusing on muscles is important.